IP Address Blacklisted as Spam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Hello community, I haven't posted for a while here but I have a question which I wondered if anyone here would know anything about as it is beyond my own realms of understanding.

I send out emails from time to time with a view to garner some new web links or articles, no more than ten or twenty in a day and maybe three or four times per month maximum. Sometimes the emails are the same but to different addresses.

Recently I noticed that I had very low reponse from a mail out, where I normally recieve a good response. I then had a friend tell me two of my emails went to their span box and I worried that I may have been flagged as spam or maybe someone has hacked my email address and spammed people.

I did a quick check for my laptop IP address in two online spam checker websites and they both flagged my IP address as being on http://www.spamhaus.org/pbl/query/PBL882402 This is a bit concerning and I wondered if I should be taking steps to remove my IP from this ban list, and also is there a way in which I can check if an email is going straight to spam boxes or even deleted without reading.. I use GMail and have configured other email addresses in that.

I'd really appreciate your help on this forum folkies as it's new territory to me and I'm keen to stay on the right side of the web police.

Yours Wooly.

jake

Yellow Belt
Your IP address may indeed have been flagged as spam source. Does your broadband use a static or dynamic IP address? Do you boot your router often?

Cheers

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Your IP address may indeed have been flagged as spam source. Does your broadband use a static or dynamic IP address? Do you boot your router often?

Cheers
Hi Jake, I use Sky internet and they do not offer a static IP address, apparently if I turn off the router for a few minutes there is a pot luck chance that the IP address may change.

jake

Yellow Belt
Nick,
its not pot luck, its certain that you will get another IP address. Turn off your router for as long as possible, say at least 30 minutes or longer. When you switch it back on, you previous IP address would have been allocated to another person and another IP address would be allocated to you. Where the pot luck comes in is the fact that the new IP address allocated to you may have been used by one of Sky's previous users of that IP address to spam hence i may be blacklisted. It could also be a clean non blacklisted IP address.

At least one thing you can be sure of is that you are not the one who got the IP address blacklisted, you need to send and awful lot more than you have been sending to get and IP address blacklisted.

Cheers

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Nick,
its not pot luck, its certain that you will get another IP address. Turn off your router for as long as possible, say at least 30 minutes or longer. When you switch it back on, you previous IP address would have been allocated to another person and another IP address would be allocated to you. Where the pot luck comes in is the fact that the new IP address allocated to you may have been used by one of Sky's previous users of that IP address to spam hence i may be blacklisted. It could also be a clean non blacklisted IP address.

At least one thing you can be sure of is that you are not the one who got the IP address blacklisted, you need to send and awful lot more than you have been sending to get and IP address blacklisted.

Cheers
Thanks for the information, it's really helpful and is much appreciated. Will turn the router off for a few hours. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.