Is duplicate such a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

ooen

A lot of people appear to dislike duplicate content. Many even go on to say that duplicate = spam. Here's my take on duplicate. Publishing is often about reprinting. If you check a couple of news papers, you often find that they all have the same story, I mean the copy, i..e, duplicate. Yahoo news essentially makes duplicate. So does Google news. Also we make progress by making a copy and modifying 5 - 10% of it. You can call it duplicate, as 90 - 95% is the same as the original. But this is how we create, how we progress, how we distribute and how we publish. Is "duplicate" such a bad thing?

S

Shock

I only think that having a duplicate is bad if you have all the same content genres as that person. Lets say I have a website for flying cow pictures, and you come along and start the exact same type of website, in that case I would be slightly annoyed. 8)

myshtern

Yellow Belt
Are you talking about duplicating someone's website content or duplicates on your website in regards to search engines.

I am wondering as to how search engines deal with duplicates.
Lots of people say how terrible duplicate content is, but would it work if you changed some paragraphs and words around?

O

ooen

Shock said:
I only think that having a duplicate is bad if you have all the same content genres as that person. Lets say I have a website for flying cow pictures, and you come along and start the exact same type of website, in that case I would be slightly annoyed. 8)
I understand what you're saying, but it has more to do with copyright. Does anyone violate copyright laws? Yes, many people do, and it is a big problem, but this doesn't imply that duplicate is a bad thing. In fact, there is almost no correlation between copyright and duplicate.

O

ooen

myshtern said:
I am wondering as to how search engines deal with duplicates.
Lots of people say how terrible duplicate content is, but would it work if you changed some paragraphs and words around?
See, that's a great point. If you take writing class, they actually teach you how you can paraphrase existing text and incorporate it into your work. That's called writing. You quote other people's work. You aggregate many other people's work and publish a book. This is publishing. The point I'm trying to make here is that it is a part of our culture, so isn't it kind of absurd to suggest that making duplicate is automatically a bad thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.