Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question Is it safe to attach your debit or credit card with paypal?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by networld, Dec 15, 2015.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Here in India the only way to use PayPal during shopping is to attach your credit or debit card to it. PayPal here is not authorized to hold fund for more than 24 hours. But I wonder is it safe to attach your card to PayPal?

I read about a very shocking incident that happened to an e-commerce professional. It was midnight and he was sleeping while his phone started vibrating continuously. He just ignored it at first, later decided to attend it. To his surprise it was a series of SMSs showing his bank account being used for shopping.

What happened is his debit card was attached to PayPal and a hacker somehow managed to get the username and password. He used it for shopping and PayPal will allow him to do this till debit card/bank account balance becomes zero.

So, is it secure to attach your credit or debit card with PayPal?

2. kenzenith

White Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    I use my debit card for my Paypal account to purchase items online and withdraw funds which my dad send me. I am using it for almost 3 years already without any problem. Here in the Philippines, I use the debit card Unionbank Eon card for my Paypal. It doesn't charge me anything unexpected.

I think what happened to that person's account was that he entered it to a fake Paypal page and then the scammer got his account details and used it for fraudulent transactions. Everyone should be careful in putting their account details online. You need to make sure the website is secured first before entering your details.

3. RH-Calvin

Red Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    I use both my credit and debit card in PayPal and they are safe to use. I have been using them for 5 years now and use them for online purchases and also to receive money. I didn't face any issue previously.

4. Webmasterserve

Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    PayPal is one of the most secure sites for payment processing and probably the most widely used in most parts of the world for online transactions for small business and websites. Yes, it is safe to attach your debit card and credit card to your PayPal, but the onus of keeping things locked and secure also fall upon you by utilizing some best practices like: Adding a more secure password which is not easily guessable, not entering your password into phishing sites, monitoring your account regularly and alerting PayPal if you find issues.

PayPal has been on the side of buyers more than on the side of sellers for a long time, buyers can easily chargeback/decline a transaction after paying for something and get all the money back. Sellers sometimes have to go through a lot of trouble to claim that they deserve to get paid. Overall PayPal is pretty secure and reputed and you should not have any issues by adding your debit card or credit card to PayPal. Adding a credit card instead of debit card is safer option because if someone hacks or misuses your PayPal account and pays using your credit card attached to it, you can report the charge as fraud to your credit card company and get a full refund without too much hassle, this option is not always available with debit cards and you lose the cash in most cases if the fraudster used your debit card.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    That is quite informative. I agree with your point that it is safer to attach your credit card with PayPal as it is supported by the credit card company. Moreover if your PayPal account is hacked which is linked to debit card, it gives an unlimited access to your bank account and the hacker can use up all your bank balance.

I have been using PayPal for the last two years without any issues, but did not attach any credit or debit card to it. While shopping online I use my credit card instead. In our country we are not allowed to hold payments in PayPal for more than 24 hours. Any fund credited in my PayPal account will be automatically withdrawn to my bank account within 24 hours. This is as per the guidelines of RBI (Reserve Bank of India).

6. Zak

Zak
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    I have been using PayPal since many years and have my bank account attached to deposit funds in it and credit card as back up payment system. So far, I never had hacking issues with my PayPal and a few times I have to open dispute because the sellers did not provide me service or send me product as promised. Sometimes got scammed at forums like DP, I think most of times I get my money back if open dispute with them.

I don't think I will attach my debit card into PayPal, it is harder to get money back from debit card if someone uses it to buy an iphone or something. If its a credit card, the company always pays you back if it was really fraud.

7. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think the hackers are very selective and they are only interested in top most accounts as the case I mentioned in my thread. The victim was an e-comerce professional and was mainly using PayPal as his payment processor. Quite obviously he was having huge money in his bank and PayPal acounts as a part of his e-commerce business. I feel hackers will first check the potential of a person and then attack to gain maximum benefit out of their operation.

But it is better to attach your credit card than debit card as already mentioned in earlier posts. But still I believe PayPal is the safest option for Internet transactions.

8. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    I am first ever hearing this news, can you tell me how to add a debit card to Paypal? I tried most times adding debit card to Paypal but they accepts ony Credit Card.
    If he was an E-commerce would have used Credit Card not Debit Card. If this was correct, then it would harder to do business as anyone can steal money from online stores.
    Do they accept Bank of India Debit card?

#8 bharath, Dec 17, 2015 at 4:19 AM
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  9. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    If you worry, you can sign up for a new debit card and use it just for paypal verification purposes. It is best not to attach your primary card or bank account as there is always a chance that people can hack into your paypal account.

10. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    There is no such type of debit cards in India to process by Indian banks. Indian Banks issue debit cards once an account is created with them else no debit Card.

11. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Your friend password was most likely very hackable, PayPal is very secure and I have had no problem from them, being that their customer care service is the best. I had a problem and they kept calling me just to ensure the error was rectified. Most sites are very strict about their password combinations in order to make it less likely your account will get hacked, it is very important.

12. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    PayPal is THE leading online transaction site in the world and as been for some time now. One of the main reasons is because of the security aspect and so with that in mind I'd have no problem linking my cards to my account.

13. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think that is a good solution to this problem. I believe what you mean to say is not to attach your main account or debit card with PayPal and attach a debit card which does not hold high amount. That is quite viable. In this case even if your account is hacked you can minimise your loss. As I already said earlier hackers seem to be very selective and they never attempt to break into accounts where there is no money.

14. deewanna

White Belt

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Of course it is. They are highly trusted and have maintained their integrity over the years. They are also security conscious. So you can be assured that you are in safe hands.

15. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    It doesn't matter even if people hacked into your PayPal. They still can't take any money from your Debit/Credit Card as for the any transaction from your card, however small it may be, you either need to enter Verified by Visa secure code or Mastercard code or OTP(One Time Password). I can't see anyone hacking into Paypal account, bypassing CVV Code and then going through with VbV code. If hacker has been successful is doing so, someone knows your card details as well as VbV secure code. If not, get in touch with your bank.

16. cortana

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Why wouldn't it be? PayPal is one of the most trusted payment platforms and your credit card probably has buyer and fraud protection. If PayPal came out today, then I'd be weary, but it's been out for what....15 years+?

And always use a credit card. That way if you buy something, and it doesn't arrive, you can dispute it on your credit card AND PayPal. If the money is gone from your debit card, then it's harder to get back.

It's fine.

17. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    If people are still wary about using these sort of online transaction sites, there's always the option of opening another account that you can use for online purchases only.

If you get the amount you want to spend, transfer it into the side account and then purchase, there will never be any funds in that account that others could get their hands on.

Personally I don't think that's necessary but if it helps to put a person's mind at rest it could be the best option.

#17 pwarbi, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:21 PM
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  18. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    I don't know how PayPal works in India, however, in Nepal we can create PayPal account, however, there is no way to verify PayPal account because paypal does not accepts Credit or Debit cards issued by Nepali banks. Furthermore, we can only use paypal to send funds, there is not option to receive funds via PayPal in Nepal. The reason is stated as Nepal Government does not allow this

19. skylimit

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    If you are very much concern about the security of your account and card, you can always use third party to buy or purchase online. You can use entropay account instead of paypal for purchasing online, its very much secure.

20. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    Hi there!

I understand your concern. I've been a Paypal user since 2007 and I have no problems in attaching my debit card with them. Yes it is safe for you to add your debit or credit cards into your Paypal account, because they are a business and respects your privacy. I have tried several legitimate transactions (both physical and digital products) with Paypal using my debit card balance (if my Paypal account balance is $0.00), and there are no issues in that as well. It is required for us to have at least one debit or credit card to verify our Paypal account and can withdraw as much as we want. Paypal is being used as main payment processor for most businesses worldwide. So it means you don't need to worry about adding your debit or credit card with them.