Judging a Book by its Cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scorpio

As some of you may know, I work in a library. It intrigues me as to what is it about a book that hooks you in?

Whether its buying a book or browsing the library..what are the aspects of the book that make you decide you want it?

1. Book Cover?
2. Personal Recomendation?
3. Where the novel is set etc..list goes on.

Myself, if it is an author I haven't read before, it depends on the mood I'm in I guess. The book cover is very important. I like a bit of mystery, unpredictable ending...tend to like themes set in the past.

My ideal read would be thought provoking, funny but one that twists your heart at the end.

I steer clear of books set in America and American authors..and I haven't a clue why..maybe too much American culture on TV.

Sorry for rambing first post..but would love to hear your thoughts.

I

Ian Mac

Scorps, I listen to what people suggest, and then choose, but i'm extremely fussy. If the book doesn't grab me in a chapter or two, I wont persevere. It gets heaved and i move on.

F

FLYBYNIGHT

I start by looking for the authors I know and love, but, I don't know why, my mind goes blank once I am in the Library and I find it difficult to think of any. I know, I know, I should have a list!
Then I start at "A". A lot of the authors I love are in the "A and "B" section.

With an unknown author I look at the blurb and then read the first paragraph of the book. If that doesn't appeal, I put it back.

Belonging to a Reader Group has made me read books I would never have taken off the shelf, but there haven't been many I haven't enjoyed.

And I never look at paperbacks in the Library!

Quite like some American authors.

FLY

L

LydiaDustbin

I do rely to some extent on the cover of a book, always read the back to get the gist of what it's about after scanning through titles in search of reading material.
I suppose our character makes us pick what to read. I would never read a romantic Mills and Boon novel in a million years, so I suppose I do discriminate really.

F

FLYBYNIGHT

Hi Lydia, I wouldn't read one either, but the daft thing is that I've never even glanced at one.
They may be fantastic for all you and I know. :lol:

M

MrsRussellB

FLYBYNIGHT said:
Hi Lydia, I wouldn't read one either, but the daft thing is that I've never even glanced at one.
They really aren't belive me!!!

L

LydiaDustbin

MrsRussellB said:
FLYBYNIGHT said:
They really aren't belive me!!!
Thanks, Shaz, for proving my decision a worthy one! :lol:

I kinda suspected as much, because my mum reads them... :roll: :wink:

G

Gertrude grunt Futuck

I have a set of fave authors, Ian Rankin, Nicci French et al. I chose theirs above and if in doubt, something from the same genre.

Status
Not open for further replies.