Help Me/Question Keywords Drop After Shopping Cart Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Hello, well I'm looking for some advice/thoughts on an SEO project I've been working on with a client.

We recently upgraded their E-commerce shopping cart to a newer version, the old urls were built up of various keywords but they were combined with numbers and random letters.

After the upgrade the site has dropped considerably for many keywords, some are increasing which did not rank well before but others seem to have disappeared or dropped a page or two.

I'm wondering whether this is just Google's way of sandboxing the site until it realises it's all OK as before and restore the keyword rankings, or whether I need to adjust something, obviously the client is concerned as their footfall to the site has dropped by around two thirds. I'm hoping it's just temporary and it's just short term pain for long term gain as we now have clean urls and a beter meta data option for sub pages.

The main points I can think that could have effected this are:

1. We have updated all the urls to be clean so from www.website.com/buy-a-product-1-31-a-d-c.html to www.website.com/buy-a-product/ there are redirects on the old urls to ensure we don't lose page rank, links in etc.

2. We have added 37 new footer links with anchor text pointing to pages within the site.

3. Added a related live news feed down the right hand side.

4. When the site was upgraded, the meta data had mysteriously been erased but this was replaced after 48hours.

5. There was a problem with the people who uploaded the site and initially it was offline for two days.

6. The site was moved to a new server which is a fraction slower than before.

Obviously one or more of these things may have effected it, and I gues my question has anyone had experience of this negative effect before? Should we hold fire and wait a week or two to see if things start to rise again, or is there something worth removing immediately.

Any help or thoughts on this welcome.
p.s. Please do not reply to this if you are simply looking to increase your post counts, it wont be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Obviously one or more of these things may have effected it, and I guess my question has anyone had experience of this negative effect before? Should we hold fire and wait a week or two to see if things start to rise again, or is there something worth removing immediately.

Any help or thoughts on this welcome.
This is the best cause of action, don't panic (yet), all your old pages were cached etc etc so it will take sometime for the new urls to be indexed, cached and the trust old url has accrued transferred to the new urls.

I will also suggest you to into GWT, see if there is any error or stuff Google flag up in your new setup and correct it. you will also find warning from Google about any other stuff such as pages you have not redirected that is giving 404 error, do something about such pages immediately.

In about a week or two, see if the site has recovered before taking any further action.

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Thanks for the advice guys, the main purpose of this is long term SEO health and better access for shoppers, it's just the shopping cart upgrade is new to me and it's taking nerves of steel to not panic. Glad this place is here to help for such topics to be honest.

valeria

Banned
This option can be used so that customers can search for keywords in a drop down box to find a specific product they are looking for.
To add a keywords drop down down widget to your sidebar(s) go to Appearance > Widgets in your WordPress dashboard and drag a 'Checkout' widget to one of your sidebars and

Status
Not open for further replies.