My Experience Making A Living By Publishing Kindle Books

djweb

Kindle is King

Life seemed great to anyone looking in from the outside, but I always felt there was something missing. I was working full time as the network security guy and programmer at this IT giant. There was no creative outlet for my talents and frankly I was able to make a lot more as a freelance programmer than what the company was paying me anyways. I was putting in 60 hours a week and I was always on call. I soon realized that I could make a lot more as a freelance programmer than what the company was paying me, and I would have to put in even fewer hours. But, I wasn’t satisfied with the game plan of going out there and freelancing.

Freelancing is still work, I wanted to do something that would automate my income, supplementing my freelancing efforts.I researched a lot of ways and came to the conclusion that Kindle publishing could work. I read a lot of reviews about this program from Amazon, where authors could publish their own books and make tens of thousand dollars a year. Of course, many claims aren’t all that they are made up to be, but I realized that people must be making some money.

So, I decided to write and publish a few books. I realized that I couldn’t wait for a book to become a bestseller. I did the next best thing- I diversified. I wrote 5 different how to books in different genres, including computing. This way, I knew that even if I made 20 sales per day per book, I would be able to earn $3000 without much effort.

Needless to say that I was naïve in thinking that I could make that much money. But, I wrote the books and continued to churn out new content, to the point where I had written and published 15 different kindle books. I made just about $500 the first month. After about 2 months of tweaking, publishing and marketing, I was able to make about $200 per title, which made me touch $3000.
Today, the books don’t make $3k and I am not looking at them as a source of income. However, they still help me pay rent and utilities. So, I would like you to try self-publishing on kindle as well.
The steps are farely simple:
  1. Look at the list of bestsellers in any genre and sub-category. Find books that you could easily compete with, and write your content.
  2. Write it yourself. I know people hire freelancers to write books and they churn out hundreds of titles under various pen names in a year. I didn’t do that and I don’t recommend doing that unless you have a pile of cash to burn. The fact is that not all books do well, so if you’re paying someone to write kindle books, you will end up wasting a lot of money.
  3. Use free FB groups of avid readers to market your books. Closed groups are the best and promoting your books is allowed in these groups.
  4. Tweak the title, description and cover of your book as many times as you need, because Amazon allows you to do that. You can use your competitor’s keywords too.
  5. Finally, publish a hard copy of your book via Amazon createspace. Price the offline version at $10+ and price the kindle version at $5 or less. This will make the reader buy your kindle books more. Its simple psychology.
Rinse and repeat for each book.

I did it, so I thought I might as well share my experience with you guys, so you guys can do it too.

Last edited:
Thank you, this sis a very good posts because I have always wondered what the odds were that someone could actually be able to make some kind of money by writing Kindle books. Congratulations on your success while publishing your books online. I will follow your guide lines in hopes that will achieve similar results.

djweb

Thank you, this sis a very good posts because I have always wondered what the odds were that someone could actually be able to make some kind of money by writing Kindle books. Congratulations on your success while publishing your books online. I will follow your guide lines in hopes that will achieve similar results.
Sure. All the very best with publishing. There is a lot of opportunity in the kindle market and the reader base is also increasing day by day as more and more countries are being brought on-board the kindle platform .

I would recommend signing up for the KDP select platform during the initial months so that you can promote your book on kindle for low prices or for free for a couple of days. This really gives a jump to the sales numbers in the long run because more people come to know about your book by word of mouth.

rayone

You have provided an entirely new direction to my journey. Seriously, I have planned writing a Kindle Book on travel but could not gather enough courage. But reading your post and the money involved with it (I will not feel disappointed if I fail) I have decided to write my first book within this month itself. Let me see if I reach anywhere :) Thanks for great tips.

Alexandoy

Thank you for the encouraging title. I had that notion when I was a newbie in the office. And although there were no computers yet, I was writing whatever I wanted to write. I really had that aspiration to be a writer. Would you believe that I send stories to Analog? That's an American magazine for science fiction and fantasy. Dreaming of having a story published, I would buy dollar bills because the submisison required a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelpe) and since I have no US stamps so what I enclosed was that 1 dollar bill for the stamps. After sending more than 10 stories and receiving the same number in rejection, I accepted the fact that I am not a writer material at all.

Now with the internet, there are many avenues for a writer but seemingly I have lost my interest to write stories.

Prasoon Arora

White Belt
I always wanted to share my views, my experience and think to write some knowledge based books. I was facing issues to find the medium and the platform to may my thoughts realistic. One of my friend who is a great writer suggest me the options for Amazon Kindle books, and I was really surprised to find such easy way to get the books published by him related to children religion.

Amazon Kindle books are really helpful to grow your passion in writing.

djweb

Thank you for the encouraging title. I had that notion when I was a newbie in the office. And although there were no computers yet, I was writing whatever I wanted to write. I really had that aspiration to be a writer. Would you believe that I send stories to Analog? That's an American magazine for science fiction and fantasy. Dreaming of having a story published, I would buy dollar bills because the submisison required a SASE (self-addressed stamped envelpe) and since I have no US stamps so what I enclosed was that 1 dollar bill for the stamps. After sending more than 10 stories and receiving the same number in rejection, I accepted the fact that I am not a writer material at all.

Now with the internet, there are many avenues for a writer but seemingly I have lost my interest to write stories.
Wow! Yours is an amazing story. Just like you said, now you can write stories using the internet. Now, no one needs to wait for the snobby publishers to approve their writing - the system is pretty transparent - the readers decide if you're worth publishing or not :)

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!

You're "almost" there @Alexandoy. If you keep going no matter how many times you're rejected, one day somebody would accept your story and you could become successful back then. Think about this one. If Thomas Edison didn't continue despite that he failed many times, we would have no light bulb today. If Ray Kroc didn't continue despite sacrificing more than 8 years without profit, there would be no McDonald's today. If the Wright Brothers didn't continue despite they failed many times in their experiment, there would be no airplanes today. The same thing goes to Kindle publishers and other life aspects. Just keep weathering the heavy storm buddy. :)

Lecitia

Your post made my day. I'm a freelance writer and recently someone wanted me to write a kindle book. I wrote it for them. It took almost three days to write a short story and I was very happy with what I wrote. Unfortunately I did not demand for an upfront payment and the requestor said that he did not have the money and I could publish it myself! I'm fairly new to kindle writing and I had no clue. Your post was very clear. Thanks! I'm now on my way to publish my first book.

djweb

Your post made my day. I'm a freelance writer and recently someone wanted me to write a kindle book. I wrote it for them. It took almost three days to write a short story and I was very happy with what I wrote. Unfortunately I did not demand for an upfront payment and the requestor said that he did not have the money and I could publish it myself! I'm fairly new to kindle writing and I had no clue. Your post was very clear. Thanks! I'm now on my way to publish my first book.
Yes. I like websites that use escrow account precisely because of that reason. You can easily publish the book or you can simply post on freelancer.com/co.uk or fiverr that you have an ebook you would like to sell. Or you can simply send a message to anyone on freelancer who's looking for an ebook writer in your genre and simply offer your book. They'll pick it up quickly. Make sure you have a plot written up front, because you don't want to share your complete work with anyone.

Also, you could self publish on a host of other sites, although Kindle is the best site out there. Here are the other options: Link.

Alexandoy

You're "almost" there @Alexandoy. If you keep going no matter how many times you're rejected, one day somebody would accept your story and you could become successful back then. Think about this one. If Thomas Edison didn't continue despite that he failed many times, we would have no light bulb today. If Ray Kroc didn't continue despite sacrificing more than 8 years without profit, there would be no McDonald's today. If the Wright Brothers didn't continue despite they failed many times in their experiment, there would be no airplanes today. The same thing goes to Kindle publishers and other life aspects. Just keep weathering the heavy storm buddy. :)
It's funny to think that my love for writing stories brought me to another line. It was surprising that I could also write songs, huh. And in my despair for my failure in writing stories, I wrote songs everyday until I got 200 songs in my archive. That's when I joined songwriting contests to win some, lose some until finally, I won the grand prize in one government-organized singing contest. And with my stories, I now write articles, easier and better read especially in our office website. But I'm still looking for an avenue to express my fiction stories.

Nocturnal Writer

I will study this out and take some plan for I want to publish a book. It is my long dream to realize it. By this opportunity, I would make putting it to reality. Thank you for this information. I am surely benefit from this.

masterbusiness

Content Writer
This post makes dreamers become believers and doers. Even if not everyone has the capability to make a book, starting small like publishing Kindle books is already a good indicator that one can be great through time.