Meta Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionic Woman

Yellow Belt
What's the best meta tags to use for our forums? Is there anyway to improve on the ones that we are using now and if so, how?

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Maria,
What sort of people are you trying to attract to your forum? How will you describe your forum? from you response I will be able to put some good meta tags together for you.

One think you cetainly need to do on your title tag is remove the word: Powered by Invision Power Board.

Thanks

Bionic Woman

Yellow Belt
HI Temi

Many thanks for your reply.

I am hoping to attract people who enjoy chatting and playing games and meeting people from all over the world and generall just having some fun.

I'll can't see anything in the meta tags on removing the Invision Power Board. :?

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Maria,
I don't use invision power board so I don't know how you can remove it but I am absolutely sure you can. I used to think you cannot remove it from vBulletting as well untill I got really annoyes as it was interfering with my ranking and I found out how to remove it.... do some detective work, you will find out how to remove it from you site.

You forum sounds like a general forum, something link this will be great:

Title: The Net Addicts - Chat games meet new friends fun Join free.
Description: The Net Addicts is a fun forum where you can play games, chat, let you hair down and meet new friend in a relaxing and welcoming atmosphere, register for free and join the fun today.
keywords: the net addicts, thenetadditics general forum, discussion forums, online chatting, meet new friends, free registration forums.

Haven inserted the keywords, you should then get others linking to you to use a few of the keywords in your meta tags to link to you. You ranking should shoot up if you can get some decent sites linking to you with those keywords.

Bionic Woman

Yellow Belt
That's brilliant. THank you Temi. 8)

I'll add those right away. Is is best to add them to all my skins or only the default skin when a guest visits the forum?

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Its best to add the to all the skin, I sort of assume search engine crawls all the skin, its search engines we are putting the meta tags there for.

J

jimmy12

Hello Friends.....

Meta elements are HTML or XHTML elements used to provide structured metadata about a Web page. Such elements must be placed as tags in the head

Thanks

J

jaikanth123

The Meta tag in html is not a required tag when you're creating your web pages; many pages don't use the tag at all, and I must confess that I've not used it on my home page, although I put it into this page by way of demonstration. To put it briefly, the meta tag is used by search engines to allow them to more accurately list your site in their indexes. Sometimes.
If you simply produce your home page and register the URL with a search engine, or a number of search engines, their spider programmes will (eventually) toddle along to your site to index it. Now, each of the search engines does this slightly differently. Altavista for example will grab everything in your document and index it, but will only show the first 250 characters in its description. Consequently, if your site included say, 'Thanks to:....' right at the beginning, this is what Altavista would show in its description, and it wouldn't give the viewer any idea of what your site actually covered. Of course, not all search engines work this way; I'd suggest you ferret around a little bit to see exactly how the popular engines work, and certainly the major two or three such as Altavista, Lycos, Yahoo, Infoseek and Excite. It therefore makes sense to ensure that your opening paragraph is carefully written to ensure it accurately reflects what your site covers.
However, you may be able to exert a certain amount of control over how your site is indexed by the use of the meta tag.

regmac

Yellow Belt
All I know is that, google makes use of the content declared in meta description of the page it crawls to provide supporting details for the link with it is listed in the SERP.

dominicfilip

Yellow Belt
Meta keyword tag is supposed to be summary list of vital words on page. They were both proposed to make using web easier. Sadly, webmasters over years have abused meta tags so much that search engine creators had to de-emphasize their importance in their algorithms.

Steve Smith

Yellow Belt
Meta tag is a special HTML tag that is used to store information about a Web page but is not displayed in a Web browser. For example, meta tags provide information such as what program was used to create the page, a description of the page, and keywords that are relevant to the page. Many search engines use the information stored in meta tags when they index Web pages.

Temperate

White Belt
You can run your site url through a meta tags analyzer tool. That will indicate if your title, description and keywords are being used correctly. For many sites, they are usually too long or too short. It is about getting a nice balance and striking a happy medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.