Most used DB in your projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexandru

Yellow Belt
Please let us all know what's your favourite DB for web development.

If you could also tell us why... that would be great... :)

C

cristiu

MySQL because is easy to use and very fast. PostreSQL have more features(triggers,stored procedure,views), MySQL doesn't have this futures but PostgreSQL is hard to use(server side and client side) and is a slow vs. MySQL

C

cristiu

I want to know your opinnion about FirebirdSql...I heard that is a strong RDBMS, true?

C

cristiu

firebird

I heard last week about FirebirdSQL from a forum pool, I use google and I found his site where is writing with big big letters: Database fo new Millenium... :))
I was just courios to ask if you know more thinks about it :)

Cristi

O

ooen

MySQL for web and Access for Desktop. For serious expensive applications like industrial automation systems, DB like MS SQL Server, Oracle, and DB2 are used.

C

cristiu

ooen said:
MySQL for web and Access for Desktop. For serious expensive applications like industrial automation systems, DB like MS SQL Server, Oracle, and DB2 are used.
All of this RDBMS (MS SQL Server, Oracle, and DB2 are used) is expensive but FirebirdSQL is Open Source :) and I think that it have the same features...

O

ooen

alexandru said:
Have you really used MS SQL for industrial automation systems... ? Can you share a little of the experience you had with it? Was it good? Was it bad?

--
Alex
Web Hosting & Domain Names UK
Webmaster Forums
Internet Access Web Hosting
More specifically, I happened to take a part in a certain project; the application(big one) was designed to run on Windows(NT -> 2k), so naturally MS SQL Server was selected. Oracle and DB2 are full-featured RDBMS, but MS SQL Server works really well on Windows. It's got all advanced features and APIs, Add-ons, etc. to integrate with other Windows applications and what have you. It's pretty amazing to see what it(and other similar applications) offers.

MS SQL Server(2k) was a complete rewrite of the previous version; however, once you start trying to run any application on Windows and tightly integrate with existing features, you'll need to deal with number of security problems, and in fact, it was hit by SQL Slammer badly. I still think it's a great application, but not everyone will jump right into it so soon ...

Status
Not open for further replies.