My Community Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klaas Koopman

White Belt
Hello Everyone,

I have a community board for my friends ( dutch ) and their friends and so on! But everytime I redo the site, it goes well for 2, 3 months, and then no one posts anymore or anything. Now I am planning on redoing it 1 more time, and see if it goes well or not. But now I could use your fantastic knowledge on this field. What should I offer my visitors? And if you are like saying,GAMES, then tell me where to get them etc!

I was thinking of having a few friends of mine putting info on the site aswell, but none of my friends know html or anything so... i thought going for mambo, good or not good? I don't even know if mambo can have this, like 1 member has 1 section or something...

I was also thinking of having big games directory at my site, so load of games on my website, is this possible? if so how?

And how about online msn on my site, is that possible aswell?

I'm just throwing a few idea's in here, but I really need your help to finally get a grip on this site, and make it good FINALLY!

Thanks in advance! People who help me really really good, can even get a design from me ( custom designed that is )

matthewmurcia

White Belt
I think building up a community can be difficult. You have lots of great ideas but maybe as well you should just concentrate on a central concept and then complimentary ideas that all support the main idea. Then people will identify your site with that one thing and think "Ah, I want to talk about games, let's go to Klaas' site!!"

My background before starting to make websites was copywriting with big advertising campaigns and some journalism and I've spent a lot of time thinking about brands and concepts. Really, the execution of an idea if it is well defined at the start is much easier and, if you have this clear concept before you begin and stick to it when problems arise, then it acts as a guide when you come across problems.

I would also say know your users as much as possible and try and stay a couple of steps ahead of their needs and desires.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
matthewmurcia said:
I think building up a community can be difficult. You have lots of great ideas but maybe as well you should just concentrate on a central concept and then complimentary ideas that all support the main idea. Then people will identify your site with that one thing and think "Ah, I want to talk about games, let's go to Klaas' site!!"

My background before starting to make websites was copywriting with big advertising campaigns and some journalism and I've spent a lot of time thinking about brands and concepts. Really, the execution of an idea if it is well defined at the start is much easier and, if you have this clear concept before you begin and stick to it when problems arise, then it acts as a guide when you come across problems.

I would also say know your users as much as possible and try and stay a couple of steps ahead of their needs and desires.

Hope this helps a little bit.

Good tips mathew

Klaas Koopman

White Belt
Dear Matthew,

Thanks a lot for your tips, I really appreciate it.

I am rewriting my businessplan now, and in a good way I think. Maybe you could ( or anyone else ) help me with another problem:

how do I get people to help me out, coding and designing the site. I don't have much to spend on this, because it's just to keep the kids from the streets, I 'm paying everything out of my pocket ( which isn't a big pocket ).....

thanks again!

matthewmurcia

White Belt
Well Klaas,

I'm good at content and writing and conecptual things but, to be honest, the businessman side of me in internet has only been going for about six months or so although I've been playing around with websites for 3 or 4 years, so I'm notparticularly qulaified to give you lots of advice here, although I've been self-employed for a few years so I can give you more general small business pointers... I used to do websites just for fun and, along the way, have made some good friendships with people who have been in the same boats ('cause making it work is just a question of making your boat better :) )

So for what you just asked, I would say decide on what exactly you need first of all, so you don't waste the little energy you have, and maybe decide what you can offer in exchange, than go and ask a few people if they're up for it. just make sure you get to know the right people for you and before you know it you'll have a better website and a couple more friends into the bargain

I don't have an awful lot of spare time right now, but maybe I could help you with some things. What could you offer in exchange?? :D

Klaas Koopman

White Belt
well it seems to be my week, because I found 3 MAMBO people who are going to help me out for free. I found 1 coder expert who's going to help me out in exchange for some designs ( he happens to be a fan of my work, he says, isn't that great ! ) And found a SEO Expert to help out aswell, in exchange for some designs.

Now I hope I can keep these people for more projects and make an actual team out of them. Because they are just what I need to start any project:

A designer for the looks
A coder/CMS Expert for the backend of the site
A Seo Expert to gain a lot of hits to the site!

Now I'd need a millionaire to sponsor the rest lol, but if projects go well, i just might become that one lol! I wish :p.

Thanks everyone for replying to my thread, I really like it. If any of you needs help, we could exchange services maybe. Bye Bye!

Status
Not open for further replies.