NeroLinux Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

notvaliduser

Yellow Belt
The disc authoring practice has become quite wide spread these days. Once the optical units became affordable for anyone, they have also become a vital need for most users as the hard-disk capacity limitation is one of the most annoying problems when it comes to computers. I am one of those users who have experienced messages such as "not enough disk space" many times, therefore burning CD-s and DVD-s is a task I perform almost daily. I could say that the main role in a disc burning process is played equally by the authoring unit as well as the application you use for that purpose.

A quite nice burning application I've dealt with was Nero Linux. It is made by Nero AG (previous Ahead Software) and I must say that it is worth most of the popularity gained from its MS Windows-designed "brother". The latest Nero Linux 3 release of which I intend to tell you about in this review, is yet a beta version and it was first introduced at CeBIT 2007. With a decent user interface, based now on the GTK2 graphical toolkit, the newest Nero Linux release works with a lot of the CD-image formats, including ISO image and also brings in the ability to burn Blu-ray and HD DVD discs. Many might get disappointed to hear that, despite the tricky name, Nero Linux is not a free software. However, the EUR 19,99 price for the serial number is not exactly a huge amount reported to the quality of this application. Actually, Nero Linux and K3b were the only burning applications I've really enjoyed working with. The only difference between the two programs would be that K3b is free. They have a nice and easy-to-use UI and they came with some clever default configurations so that the end user will not have to worry too much about confusing check boxes or options lists. According to its user guide, Nero
Linux comes with almost all of the necessary functionalities already built-in. There are a few packages, for special features, which Nero does not bring in, as they should be already installed on your system. There is no problem though if your system misses one of those packages, as Nero Linux will inform you about the missing package name and an URL where to get it. Another major specification I found in the "requirements" section is that Nero needs at least a 2.4 kernel version. Regarding the fact that most of the Linux distros are based on the 2.6 version, the kernel should not be a problem.
full

Status
Not open for further replies.