Neutral New Site to critque

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
One comment I would make is that visited links are showing up as purple for me in Mozilla (so with the way Mozilla is that could or could not be what you wanted) and I noticed you also used blue links among the other colors. IMHO I think you should stick to the blue (for visited links), but then that's just me. Overall, it still looks unique and I look forward to dropping by every once in a while.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
It's okay, CT, I didn't know what color to make the visited link... yet... drop by any time, register as a member.. whatever.. membership is free of course, lol.

We need to start finding some people who talk tho.. these boards are all so quiet.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Working on a campaign as we speak. We've had 63 uniques so far this month since I checked just about 5 minutes ago and finished with 200+ last month which comes to about 6 uniques/day. I suppose that's not too bad for a site that rarely was advertised, but the search engines are starting to crawl and I look forward to more hits from them now. If you have any ideas send them my way and I'll do the same for your site. I'll make sure and sign up here soon.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
rough.. one of my sites last month hit well over 2000 uniques for the month and still not much happening with it... another was closer to 3000 uniques but it's doing what it's supposed to be doing so nothing to worry about.. I think I'm going to have to really think about whether the right message is being put out when there's that much traffic but no takers.. these are the project sites I have that I'm talking about, not the paying sites.

This new site that started this thread is already down in the 585,000 range on Alexa which I thought was pretty awesom since it just got submitted to search engines a week ago or less.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
That's not bad, but I don't put much stock in that Alexa rank stuff. All it means is that people with the Alexa bar visit your site frequently. I did a little experiment in which I downloaded the bar and used it once every day for a month. My alexa ranking went all the way up under the 100k rank by a fair amount. For the next month I uninstalled the bar and tried to see what the result was. While my incoming traffic was the same, my rank dropped back down to 200k-300k. It is an acheivement certainly to do that good that fast, but I'm sure that the site will take off more than that. ;)

R

RedRaider

I like your design. It has a nice look to it. Keep up the good work. :)

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
Thanks RedRaider. I'm glad you like it.. thinking lately about specializing in content management systems and referring other design work.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
That might be the thing to do. I've noticed that CMS systems are abundant these days at the least. I've also noticed that most of these CMS systems look very similar. I think taking a shot at that arena would be worth it. If you could offer the skin of a CMS (multiple) you're looking at offering something that not many offer right now.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
Using the newest version of autotheme you can really customize the look of cms. The one I have will work with postnuke and MdPro, perhaps a few others but need a different app for phpnuke which I don't recommend anyone to use anymore anyway, lol... it's too easy to hack it. the how-to for doing it is making its rounds through the hacking communities, too, so anyone using it should beware.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Yep, we recently moved a website off of PHP Nuke which had been hacked. It's very sad that it comes down to that, but unfortunately that's how the world is. I just think it's so very funny in the end how these people who do the hacking actually feel like they've done something big when all they've managed to do is read a tutorial and hacksome. Needless to say that since we switched there have been no problems.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
Thanks for the thumbsup on the new site, Soaring Eagle USA.
That's the way it goes, CT. One of the reasons postnuke evolved is because it split off from phpnuke at one time and development continued on it in ways that weren't being considered by the original phpnuke group. Open source is great overall and it saves a lot of dollars for people starting up on shoestring budgets like ourselves, but it pays to research and stay current with any applications you use. Poor script kiddies.. some day they'll hack somebody's site who just might turn around and teach them a lesson about real hacking, lol. Not that I know anybody,  ::)

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
I know. What people don't get is there is a true difference between a true hacker and script kiddie. I've known some people in the past that could get into any server they want but would never do so because they are good people. The problems come from when kiddies get a hold of those tutorials and think that they can do something 'cool' and mess up somebody's website.

I've had one site in my life hacked for no good reason and the idiot who did it thought I was someone else's site he was hacking. He did it twice but nothing could be done about it because it was a small time site. It's just really annoying to have to save db's and use backups. The only other kiddie was one who ddos'ed my2nd host. I must say he wasn't very smart but he managed to bring down one of then RS's entire network because the attack was so strong. He got away although I found out who it was. Mainly because we were small and you end up spending the money so a kid gets slapped on his hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.