Help Me/Question Old Back Links Affecetd By Penguin Etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Hello.

I have a client who upgraded his shopping cart and upgraded hundreds of old urls to clean versions via redirects around the end of April 2012.

The site dropped dramatically for many of his keywords. I assumed it was simply that Google did not like the upgrade in some way or another. So I worked extremely hard to rework meta data, descriptions, clean up the site and make content useful and relevant and I also started link building with good quality new links.

No SEO had been carried out on the site for some years.

The last two months I have had very good success with many of the old keywords regaining position and remaining there. I have also worked on new sub pages with great success and the clean urls and new meta data has started to shine in these areas.

However, yes, Webmaster Tools tell sme that the last two months imprssions and clicks are rising week on week which is reassuring but some keywords still do not appear at all in the top 100 which were previously in the running between page 1 and 6.

Becasue of this my client has sought a second opinion from a new SEO company who have thoroughly analysed his site without my knowledge until today.

They have compared his competition and claim that his back links are what are causing the problem. That many of the old back links built before I came on board were duplicate anchor text and from directiries etc etc. They claim that the Panda update around April took this in consideration and marked the site down. Obviously they want the business and claim that the best thing to do is to remove these not so brilliant links.

I find this really hard to believe and would have thought if this were the case then why would we have success in other areas since the upgrade. I would imagine that the new links which are being built will balance out the not so great old links which woul dhave been built long before such Google updates as Panda. What is even more concerning, is since the new company have taken an interest in the site, the keywords that I had worked extremely hard to claw back to the top have completely disappeared off the top pages of Google making me quite suspicious. We had a stable two or three months and suddenly these keywords have dropped off the planet again.

I am sure that some links could be bad for a site, but it is unlikely these old links would be from anything untoward.

Any thoughts on this would be most welcome before I make my decision on what to do next. I don't claim to know everything but in this instance I want to see if anyone else has had first hand experience of this kind of negative link damage since Panda and other updates.

Thanks in advance.

Evgeniy

Yellow Belt
Hello Wooly,
On the end of April was a Penguin update and apparently your website was affected by that. Penguin punished websites which use unnatural methods of promotion. And link building is one of that methods.

Apparently your keywords that still under the 10th page of SERP are so far because your backlinks has many targeting keywords. Try to get/change more natural backlinks (with site name anchor) and remove low quality links. It must help you.

But don't think that you will see the results immediately. Review every backlink and make sure that they are quality and not placed in footer also.

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
Hello Wooly,
On the end of April was a Penguin update and apparently your website was affected by that. Penguin punished websites which use unnatural methods of promotion. And link building is one of that methods.

Apparently your keywords that still under the 10th page of SERP are so far because your backlinks has many targeting keywords. Try to get/change more natural backlinks (with site name anchor) and remove low quality links. It must help you.

But don't think that you will see the results immediately. Review every backlink and make sure that they are quality and not placed in footer also.
Thanks for the reply.

Do you actually have any evidence or first hand experience of this, what I would say is.. why do some of the keywords remain ok, some appear even better and others remain below the 100 positions? Surely this Penguin update would have affected all of the keywords? I'm still really not confident this is the reason!

Wooly Worcester

Yellow Belt
I would also add that the other SEO company have highlighted one keyword anchor text which has been one of the most "spammed" keywords in the old links according to their data. This is actually one of the keywords which was not affected by the upgrade or anything else.. so if the site had been hit by Panda or whatever surely this keyword would have bombed, or at least dropped, but it has remained constant. So I am doubting the site was hit by Panda and it was more to do with the upgrade.

Evgeniy

Yellow Belt
Do you actually have any evidence or first hand experience of this, what I would say is.. why do some of the keywords remain ok, some appear even better and others remain below the 100 positions? Surely this Penguin update would have affected all of the keywords? I'm still really not confident this is the reason!
Yes, I have such experience. Some keywords remain ok, because they have quality backlinks or % of targeting keywords in these backlinks not so high. Try to make this % lower. Give me one your keyword (>100 position) and what links did you get for this keyword.

Status
Not open for further replies.