On-page SEO focuses on optimizing things that are happening on your website pages. The following is a list of on-page SEO checklist that can help your site to rank better in organic search.
- Post high quality content. It is best to write longer content, for example 1,000 - 1,500 words because it makes your article more useful compared to most other sites which post shorter articles. Posting longer articles is recommended when you are targeting for competitive keywords.
- Use H1 tag in the title of the article. Some Wordpress themes automatically wrap your titles in H1 tag.
- Targeted keyword included in page title
- Targeted keyword included in sub headline
- Repeat keyword 3 - 10 times in the article. The keyword must appear in the first 100 – 150 words paragraph to emphasize it in your article
- Avoid using defeault permalink such as abc.com/p=123. Instead the first 3 – 5 words of the URL should talks about what your content is about.
- Include at least one relevant image to help illustrate the points in the article. Adding videos can help to reduce the bounce rate and increase the amount of time the user stay on the page.
- Tag the image with an appropriate captions
- Make sure there is no spelling/grammar mistakes
- Adding outbound links to authoritative sites such as About.com can boost your pagerank.
- Add social media buttons to allow people to share your content or discuss about it.