My 2 Cents Photography Is Art.

It never crossed my mind to think photography is anything less than art. Art is visual and it is a skill at doing a specified thing, typically one acquired by practice, or it comes naturally to a person. Art could be anything, an art of conversation, cooking, dancing, singing, writing, acting and many more things. So of course photography is an art.

It is ludicrous to think that because a photograph is taken with “a mechanical recording medium” and it cannot “elevate the imagination” it’s not art, these notions are unjust. Paintings and Photographs are somewhat of the same thing, both have the same end result, which is putting to print a captured image. Paintings are works of art, that a lot of time and pain-staking patience is dedicated, to arrive at the artist desired finished work, while a photograph is instant in capturing of the image, just a click of a button on a camera and the image is captured forever.

It is argued that the simplicity of which a photograph is taken, does not make it art, which is not so. Photographs are also entertaining and intriguing like other aspects of arts. Photographers have from a varied source of mediums from in-animate to animate objects or living and non-living things to choose from to convey their messages. Photographers have to be alert and precise, in order for them to capture their perfect photographs for example raging sea storms, tornado's, fire outbreak, animals in their natural habitat etc. A photograph makes such scenes more realistic, passing on the message more vividly than a painting can, especially with the fact that the photograph is instant and has to be captured directly at the scene.
To capture a good photograph, it takes a great sense of art and awareness in order to capture an image in all its beautifying glory and elegance, just like an artist with a brush, a photographer has to be in-tune with his or her subject.

419d8b1d-5d73-4e7c-94ac-e84641ed5177-620x418.jpe

One of the greatest photography work I have seen and lucky come across is ‘Still Intensity…Samuel Beckett’ by Jane Bown. She is able to capture every single daunting detail about Samuel Beckett’s face and the background of the image reflects on the mastery of the subject that the photograph is a master-piece in its own right.

Richard-Learoyds-emMan-wi-001.jpg

Man with Octopus Tattoo II (2011) by Richard Learoyd is also another breath-taking image, showcasing photograph. It vividly shows the man and his tattoo in quiet resounding detail, it is as good as a painting.

Rounding off, a photograph captures the purest of arts as photography has made it possible to capture and record once in a lifetime occurrences and many more things that will be passed on from generation to generation as we are in the digital age, the 21st century and no longer in the time of Henri Cartier-Bresson.

Zak

Oh I love to travel and love photography. It is CERTAINLY an art and a great hobby. I hope to someday own a good digital SLR camera and a bunch of lenses to be able to capture the kind of photographs I crave. The way an image is composed, the lighting, the perspectives and everything about a photograph screams ART to me. Anyone can have a camera if they pay enough money but not everyone can capture photographs which have the intensity or elicit emotions like some seasoned photographers.

@challengewriter you could've posted a woman's backside too, I promise to read your thread more closely if you posted one :p

Very funny @Zak, this was working in relation to my article you know, people will take the article more seriously this way, a lady's butt in this world seems to send the wrong message these days.

bharath

Staff member
In olden days there wasn't a camera, so how do you call photograph is better than an ART? I understand it what you said and agrees that we are in the Digital Industry. We can too capture great photos of small distance with our Androids, but a DSLR camera can make perfect photo.
Most of the people in these days selling nice photos on flickr while they are on tour.
@Zak Indian Govt has banned to view nude photos on Internet, so keeping a lady photo shall looks ugly for us.

In olden days there wasn't a camera, so how do you call photograph is better than an ART? I understand it what you said and agrees that we are in the Digital Industry. We can too capture great photos of small distance with our Androids, but a DSLR camera can make perfect photo.
Most of the people in these days selling nice photos on flickr while they are on tour.
@Zak Indian Govt has banned to view nude photos on Internet, so keeping a lady photo shall looks ugly for us.
In the olden days, it was the only way of capturing an image, but being that we are in the modernized world, there will be new things and news ways of capturing images and creating art i.e. a camera, so you see why photography is art? I did not say photography is better than art, but are equally important.

cortana

The naked guy sitting on a stool looks like a drunk college kid took a picture as a joke. I wouldn't call that art. It looks terrible.

The first photo looks amazing, but the second looks embarrassing.

The naked guy sitting on a stool looks like a drunk college kid took a picture as a joke. I wouldn't call that art. It looks terrible.

The first photo looks amazing, but the second looks embarrassing.
Yeah, well I wrote this article as an assignment earlier this year and I was given this images to use. I don't also really like the man covered with the tattoo, but I like the concept of the images, it's a series there are more, only this picture was the one selected in the series.

briannagodess

I do think photography is art because:

1. It requires skills to take a perfect photo. Only a true photographer can capture the emotions of a person.

2. It requires creativity. Taking a photo is not as simple as that, you need to be creative to be able to have something new to offer to clients.

3. Photographers are like directors, producers and props men. They visualise the theme, setup the scene and direct the model.

I do think photography is art because:

1. It requires skills to take a perfect photo. Only a true photographer can capture the emotions of a person.

2. It requires creativity. Taking a photo is not as simple as that, you need to be creative to be able to have something new to offer to clients.

3. Photographers are like directors, producers and props men. They visualise the theme, setup the scene and direct the model.
You understand me perfectly, photographers have to be in touch with their surroundings and know how to manipulate it to get an awe-inspiring picture, everyone can take a picture, but only few can capture the life, clarity and image as perfect as an artist that is a photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

briannagodess

You understand me perfectly, photographers have to be in touch with their surroundings and know how to manipulate it to get an awe-inspiring picture, everyone can take a picture, but only few can capture the life, clarity and image as perfect as an artist that is a photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And I think that's why only a few photographers really make it. By make it, I mean succeed in their careers. It's quite a difficult job to do especially when your heart's not in it, just like any other job. But I think it also takes practice and experience to be able to capture perfect moments and sceneries. And when you are able to do that, that's when you become an artist, not just a simple photographer.

And I think that's why only a few photographers really make it. By make it, I mean succeed in their careers. It's quite a difficult job to do especially when your heart's not in it, just like any other job. But I think it also takes practice and experience to be able to capture perfect moments and sceneries. And when you are able to do that, that's when you become an artist, not just a simple photographer.
Yes I remember reading an article that someone sold a photograph for $4 million and I was in shock, but I guess it's the quality and depth of it all that matters. And most of the photographers don't like exploring and taking pictures of unusual things that's why most of them are stuck and not making it.

grumpypants

Anything can be an art, in retrospect. I find science to be an art, if you want to go to further lengths.

As for the topic of photography, it is absolutely 100% an art form. It takes just as much time, practice, dedication, and skill to take a good photo as it would to draw a good picture.

Anything can be an art, in retrospect. I find science to be an art, if you want to go to further lengths.

As for the topic of photography, it is absolutely 100% an art form. It takes just as much time, practice, dedication, and skill to take a good photo as it would to draw a good picture.
Yeah, anything. The art of *insert any word* and it totally makes sense. Thank you for your contribution, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

coolyfrost

I think that photography is an art, definitely. It demands as much creativeness and preciseness as painting with an extra element of patience to it as well. I am not very good at photography but I definitely admire those who are as it is not easy.