PHP vs ASP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Feel free to let us know why. Personally I like and use PHP as I am a through and through linux user when it comes to websites. I also like that PHP is cheaper and IMHO better for my needs.

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
I like PHP a lot better than ASP simply because PHP, for me, is easier to read and understand what is going on.  Also, from what I have seen, PHP is more user friendly over all and can accomplish quite a bit.

J

Jesse

Count me in for PHP as well, it's just easier for me to understand. I'm lost almost completely with ASP.

McMadd

White Belt
Too bad you didn't give any more choices because I'm a Perl guy.
Ive done PHP and ASP too and really dislike ASP.
It's to long ago to remember and sum up my main dislikes but it all starts with the syntax. I can never get used to that way of programming.
PHP is a good language but since I started out with Perl long ago there is nothing that I can't do in Perl that can be done with PHP.
Besides that, PHP is mainly intended for the web and there's so much more you can do with Perl. I'm even writing stand-alone GUI apps in Perl.

So my vote went to PHP

O

Oldiesmann

While ASP is nice because of all the fancy applications you can write with it, PHP is best because it doesn't require a specific browser or operating system to work properly, and it's free. :)

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
While ASP is nice because of all the fancy applications you can write with it, PHP is best because it doesn't require a specific browser or operating system to work properly, and it's free.
I agree with you there. I think just simply the cost and compatibility of PHP sets it apart right now.

A

Ardenn

I've seen some really amazing things done with ASP... www.eqdiva.com is a good example.  I prefer PHP because it is what I know.  Although I use microsoft products, and thats how I make my living currently, PHP is what I have spent time learning, it free, and its reasonably straight forward.  I've looked at ASP, but quite frankly it confuses me.  I will learn it one day just because of the neat stuff you can do with it, unless I learn how to do equaly amazing things with PHP.

alexandru

Yellow Belt
I also like PHP best. I tried ASP a long long time ago, when I was still using Windows, and even tough I had quite a few years of VB programming experience, I found it quite uncomfortable and ... ugly  :-\.
Definitely not for me.  :)

C

cristiu

Asp .net

What do you say about ASP .NET I never used but I heard that is a powerfull technology,what do you think?

O

ooen

The biggest difference to me is that ASP requires Windows while you can run PHP on any platform. Also because of this reason, ASP requires you to spend more on the server.

Darksat

Yellow Belt
cristiu said:
What do you say about ASP .NET I never used but I heard that is a powerfull technology,what do you think?
ASP.NET is light years better than ASP, however PHP still has more support than anything else and is the best for 85% of websites out there, ASP.NET is better for very large corporate projects, normal ASP however is dying and is inferior to PHP.

Status
Not open for further replies.