PM urged not to extradite hacker to US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has been urged to halt the extradition to the US of computer hacker Gary McKinnon.
Mr McKinnon, from Wood Green, north London, faces up to 70 years in prison if found guilty in the US of breaking into military computers.
Supporters held a vigil and delivered a letter to Downing Street calling for him to be tried in the UK instead.
Campaigners said the fact that Mr McKinnon has Asperger's Syndrome should be taken into account.

source: news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7768394.stm

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
Amazing! Someone breaks the law and do-gooders here try to prevent the accused standing trial. Warped sense of values if you ask me.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
What I really object to is the way UK seem to be subservient to US, apparently, US do not extradite their citizen to UK if UK authorities request it but we seem to be too eager to extradite our citizens to US when they request it.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I do agree that when the US tells the UK to 'jump' the British Government usually ask 'how high.' It's become almost embarrassing.

In the case of extraditions though I didn't think there was usually a problem getting accused ones sent back from the US to here. Maybe I've just missed the news on those cases though.

darkstar_tfd

Yellow Belt
These are all political games, that eventually have no importance, because us, the little men cannot influence them in any way

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
McKinnon Lawyers Try Last Ditch Attempt To Save Him

Gary McKinnon, who is probably considered by some in the US as the most infamous hacker in history, has once again urged for his trial in UK courts instead of being extradited to US.

McKinnon had already confessed breaking into US military’s computer systems back in 2001 and 2002, in order to get some useful information about the unidentified flying objects (UFOs), which he thought to have been concealed by the US government.

His act has been treated as cyber-terrorism by the US, and if he gets extradited to US for trial, he could face a sentence for up to 70 years in jail.

McKinnon’s lawyers have sent an application to the Crown Prosecution Service for conducting his trials in UK and the authority have vowed to respond back within four weeks.

Decision on McKinnon’s extradition to the US is supposed to be made within few days, and in this situation, his chances for UK trials will be examined by Keir Starmer QC.
WePC.com MPU 300x250 (v1) - PNG

Lawyers further asserted that McKinnon’s hacking act was a consequence of Asperger’s Syndrome, with which McKinnon was diagnosed in August last year.

Upholding McKinnon’s recent plea for trial in UK courts, Professor Simon Baron-Cohen, said in a news conference that McKinnon’s offence “should be treated as the activity of somebody with a disability rather than a criminal activity”.

itproportal

Status
Not open for further replies.