Question about memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bionic Woman

Yellow Belt
Ok, I've just added a 256 mb's of RAM to make it up to 512 on my son's pc. Now his programs in Steam run much better which is great.

I was wondering though, if I added more RAM, what difference would that make as the amount he has now is fine so would more make any difference?

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
Hi Bionic Woman

The more memory the faster your machine will run. Motherboards only support up to a certain number of memory e.g. 1GB. 2GB, 4GB etc

How many memory slots do you have on your motherboard and how many have been used?

Thanks

Bionic Woman

Yellow Belt
Hi Gkd

There are four slots on the motherboard with one still free.

So they pc will run faster if any more area added then? :)

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
Yes it will :)

So currently you have two sticks of 128MB and one 256MB

You could add another 256MB or 512MB and it will definetly speed up the machine further.

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
memory

Memory in systems is slightly a grey area

i will explain

Windows is HORRENDOUS with memory. If fills all the available ram with predicted dat the you MIGHT need. When another program is run, the data for the program is SWAPPED with the garbage in the RAM for the program. This is called "paging" and is done in C:\pagefile.sys

You need to set you pagefile size from (in your case) 1024Mb to 2048Mb (Amount of Ram * 2 to amount of ram * 4)

Usually systems are set to dynamically adjust but this can cause slowness.

Most games need more GRAPHICAL ram as games get more eye candy, so upgrading the graphical ability of a system is usually a better choice for gamers. Gamers will also have 2Gb RAM but your system will take 4Gb.

The increased need for graphical abilty was the main reason for the move from AGP graphics cards (2Gb/s) to PCIExpress x16 (16Gb/s) allowing much more data to the graphics card.

Anyhoo, get your system upped and games will be cool. heck you virtual memory too in Control Panel -> system -> Advanced -> Performance

Peace

Bionic Woman

Yellow Belt
gkd_uk said:
Yes it will :)

So currently you have two sticks of 128MB and one 256MB

You could add another 256MB or 512MB and it will definetly speed up the machine further.
Yes I do. Thanks gkd very much. :)

Shadoweater, thanks for the explanation on that.

I was going to ask about virtual memory as well because a message comes up now and again saying Windows virtual memory minimum too low and it then sorts it out. Going by your instructions I've changed this now to allow windows to use it for the best performance to which it automatically unticked all the boxes for me in that section. Was that right?

:)

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
virtual memory

This is ok but its generally good to set it to 1024 to 2048

I set this to all PCs I work on as it helps stop fragmentation a little

Have a try with both and see what you think.

If you want amazing performance, buy a 2nd hard drive and use that as swap space (or a small partition of it)

System on one drive, swap on another :)

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.