Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Neutral Review Of One.com

Discussion in 'Review Services' started by anu_smart, Jan 1, 2016.

1. anu_smart

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    Review of One.com

Often considered as one of Europe’s popular web hosts, One.com has intrigued me since the beginning of 2013, and I have often checked their offers. Their reasonable pricing made them optimal for hosting small sites, so in October 2013, I decided to try out One.com. Sadly, they failed to live up to expectations with their dismal quality of service.

The Finest Example of Incompetence

I hosted one, simple tourist information containing, travel site about a local city which had 14 pages and a few pictures but was devoid of databases, complex scripts, anything that would cause a shared server to crash. Nevertheless, to my surprise almost a month after launching the site they sent me a notice informing me that they have suspended my site as it was using excessive resources. Whereas my site which got on an average only 100 to 300 views per day could not have used so called ‘too much’ resources.

On questioning support through live chat as to how could my site have drained the account limits, I was asked to submit a ticket after which they were going to looking into it- and it was reasonable. But four hours later they responded saying that my site was suspended as I had consumed excessive bandwidth, which was what they had said even earlier, not justifying the four hour wait period. It is a known fact that hosts offering unlimited bandwidths often have worse limits compared to hosts offering guaranteed resources but their reasoning for my site which had a maximum 300 pageviews per day was difficult to digest.

Since my site was still down after a day I sought a better explanation via live chat and this time the support rep sited “abusive material” on my account as reason for suspension. That was completely baffling as my site was about tourist spots and travels and didn’t even contain adult related info like about red light districts, etc.
    On asking the reps to point out the “abusive” content so that I could remove it and get my site online again, I got a vague response from them. All further responses from them were just as imprecise and they kept saying that I was using too much bandwidth. That is when I re-read their terms of service which are quoted as follows:

“Traffic is basically unlimited. However, traffic must be normal in nature and not disrupt that of other customers. If a customer’s traffic disrupts that of others, One.com reserves the right to close the customer’s web space without notice and/or make a separate charge for the traffic. One.com reserves the absolute right to decide whether or not traffic is excessive. On closure of a web space, no refund will be made of any subscription paid in advance”.

It is difficult to imagine that a page getting less than 1000 views per day would “disrupt” others using the server. I’m speculating that they exercised the clause from their terms of service saying “One.com reserves the absolute right to decide whether or not traffic is excessive” and decided to suspend my 300 pageviews a day site citing excessive traffic.

The experience was harrowing and befuddling and I thought it best to move my small site to another host. Their unbearable team was highly inept, inefficient and good at only making excuses. I asked for a refund for my account but they refused because I was the one who violated their terms of service. This seemed like their modus operandi of forcing people to sign up for yearly plans, having no monthly options, and then suspending their accounts based on their absurd terms, making users ineligible for refunds.

Luckily for me, I had backups and could move my site to another host where I worked on the site for a month and eventually sold it for a good sum. But I would not want anyone to go through the ordeal that I went through with One.com.

If I had to rate One.com’s customer service and support I would unwillingly give them 0.5 out of 5, and that too would be considered generous, and the justification for the 0.5 would be that at least there was a team in place even though their support seemed non-existent.

Final Verdict

The claim made by One.com of having a million customers who cannot be wrong in choosing them would be believable in the context of them having a million customers but definitely not “happy” customers. The supposed customers would probably be too busy or completely ignorant as far as their website is concerned to stay with One.com. The million accounts must be of those users who only remember their site’s existence when they get a reminder email regarding their sites expiry.

You can avail One.com’s services if you wish to build a site and dismiss it from your mind as that is the only way you can ignore their problematic services. But if you have a serious site and don’t intend to deal with inefficient reps and awful service, you are advised to stay away from this host.

2. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    I just looked at the one.com website and it looks like really a waste company as they are offering for cheap prices. You have luckily managed to get away from them by having backups, that's a good thing for you, because these are stupids that even they don't give backup.
    Thanks for sharing your experience with this hosting, but never choose cheap packages as they have only a way to close the business. These people even won't listen for posting negatives on webhosting forums. I always tend to take help from members in forums as it is the best reviews in the world.

We even find fake reviews on webhosting review sites. Giving a backup is also there terms of services not to provide the customer.
    Here comes an interesting review from the customers, take a look the second one exactly your problem too.
    http://www.whoishostingthis.com/hosting-reviews/one-com/

3. masterbusiness

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    Well, here's another example of focusing on quantity and not on quality as they may have a million customers but not all are utilizing the services that they offer. Reading reviews may not always be helpful because as @bharath@bharath mentioned, there are fake ones so most of the time, people just need to make wise decisions based on their hunches.

4. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    One.com is popular hosting company. I have worked with them and must tell you they have excellent technical assistance i found than anywhere else. Why i quit with them is the hike in the pricing for the next year bill and i just quit from them but they are awesome for no doubt.

5. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    BTW, it seems to be offering very nice features having good performance, smooth control panel and support with cost effective price.

6. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    Yes @sunshine@sunshine : this is exactly what makes me buy one for me. The problem is you cannot host more than one website with one.com. I am not sure if they do offer multiple website offering but i had it the time i bought.
    another issue arrives when they billed me a huge amount saying what i have paid is for first year introductory price. If you don't have a backup of data, you will really feel ugly why did you host with them.

7. Swati Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +105 / -0
    i am agree with the @sunshine@sunshine and the@manish mishra One .com is the popular site for hosting, it provide the different feature.

8. peterparkers

White Belt

Ratings:
    +1 / -0