Running a successful forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorna

Yellow Belt
I know that there is a similar thread on the UKWW forums (I think that's right) but I think it is a useful subject to discuss.

A problem I have is that people register and then do nothing, and I can't understand why. I PM them to welcome them to the forum, and even follow this up a week or so later to see if they have a problem but no response. It is really frustrating.

The thing that really makes me mad is people who register, make one post advertising their company and then never come back. I PM to say that I dont mind them promoting a complimentary company to the forum, that the members may get benefit from, but could they first make some other contribution, but NOTHING comes back, so I delete the post. Perhaps I am naive when it comes to spam. I just can't understand why people do it.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Lorna,
Its good you raise this subject here as well, apart from me and Darkstar, the members here are completely different form the members are UK WW. The issue you raise plagues all forum owners, I do understand the spammers, they just looking for quick cheap way to advertise but I do not understand people who register but never post... actually, registering, completing your profile and never posting is actually another way of spamming. For example if you do that at UK WW and just add a few sites to your profile, you profile will get a PR3 or PR4 at next PR update (for example look at your UK WW profile here, you have PR 3 http://forums.ukwebmasterworld.com/members/lorna.html, this PR is then passed on to your site)

I do house keeping every week or so where I remove such users and delete previously active members who have been gone for longer than 6 months. I think people who are genuinely interested in a forum will always register and post.

Last edited:

Lorna

Yellow Belt
Lorna,
For example if you do that at UK WW and just add a few sites to your profile, you profile will get a PR3 or PR4 at next PR update (for example look at your UK WW profile here, you have PR 3, this PR is then passed on to your site)

I never realised that!

I think the housekeeping thing is a good idea. When we have been going 6 months (!) then I will do the same thing.

I think people must just forget that they have registered on forums, and that's why they don't bother posting.

I know that some forums I have looked at can have the appearance of being quite 'cliquey' and you wouldn't dare post on them for fear of saying something wrong. I am a member of a 'green' forum that is a bit like that, and the minute you disagree with something, you are made to look stupid. I have made a real effort that my forum isn't like that, because I know how off putting it can be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I know what you mean by oppressive forums, to be quite honest, I started my first forum for that reason as I was feed up of stuffy pompous guys who think they know it all, they have a little circle which they don't what to let new members into...
I try to make new and old members of my forum welcomed and at home. You are right about some people forgetting about registering... I started a monthly newsletter which sort of remind such people that we are still there and they are still welcomed.
Some of them usually pop in after they receive the monthly newsletter.
Perhaps when you forum grows bigger you want to consider a monthly newsletter as well

serverpoint

White Belt
yeah..there are people do this like you are saying...
but most of the people when find a good forum or place, they do the registration but later because of time shortage they cant give proper time to this activity, like posting or reply the threads...

S

subhamoy

Same Problem

Hello friend

Same problem in the case of my forum. Who join the forum only submitted and then vanish i delete his/her message after one weeks of Posting. I think problem solve.

Subham

wasku

Yellow Belt
I have you tried to do a weekly newsletter? They usually come back.

Also one thing that i find annoying on forums. Is when there is a whole lot of topics and most of them only have 5 posts in them. So you have to scroll threw so much. Keep them short if you don't have users.

Do you advertise? Try google adwords its working for me. I used adbrite but i hate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.