Shadoweater, do you use Microsoft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Yellow Belt
Shadoweater

If you don't mind me asking, do you/have you used Microsoft Windows?

I use Windows but want to start to use Linux also. Will I be able to learn Linux quickly? How long have you used Linux?

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
I use KUbuntu (http://www.kubuntu.org)

I use Windows XP Pro at work but KUbuntu is on all my own system. My folks use Windows too.

Easy distros are Mandriva, SuSE, Kubuntu, Ubuntu. These have great communities and support (especially Ubuntu)

If you want a quick try with Linux try Knoppix or KUbuntu as they run off the CD and will not modify your systems

Give it a go you may suprise yourself

Need a hand just post on here

Peace

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Forgot to say.

Been using Linux for about 4 years and I'm still learning. I'm trying to improve my command line skills as they are a bit flaky

Peace

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
I prefer Linux due to its slickness and stability. MS is easier to use initially but as you learn how Linux works i becomes second nature.

I now have my EEE PC 701. Its awesome and I VNC to my headless KUbuntu desktop to tell it to play my MP3s etc.

No virus' or spyware is another MASSIVE advantage as I do not run any AV (AVG Free can run on Linux but is mainly for email servers (which i dont run))

As I am not a gamer (except emulators which I have compiled) I have no need for half the gumf that is shipped with MS products and my installs are very small (300Mb ish)

Lets turn this around

Why do you all use Windows and not Linux??

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.