Help Me/Question Should forums be dofollow or nofollow links?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
If you run your own forum are your links all 'nofollow' or 'dofollow'?

If they are nofollow it should at least help to cut down on spam if members know their links will have little search engine value.

On the other hand, don't members deserve some rewards by having any links/signatures, dofollow?

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I think quality post (over x number of characters) should be dofollow and poor post quality post should be nofollow.
The problem is determining what is quality and what is not in a busy forum.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I suppose a quality post could possibly be identified as such if it was a certain length. So many characters, or words, will change it from nofollow to dofollow.

That way it should become more obvious who is posting merely to get their signatures seen.

odls

Yellow Belt
I do think that if members spend time and genuinely want to contribute to discussions they should benefit from links they post.

A minimum post length should surely help in sorting out the post count builders from the genuine posters.

Party Animal

White Belt
Post length should not be an issue. My posts are short and to the point. The goal is to simply to answer the other person's question. If I can do it in 10 words rather than 80 and then go and help someone else then why should I lose out.

I think forums should be do follow. Why not?

odls

Yellow Belt
Post length should not be an issue. My posts are short and to the point. The goal is to simply to answer the other person's question. If I can do it in 10 words rather than 80 and then go and help someone else then why should I lose out.

I understand what you're saying. It doesn't always take a thesis to make a good reply, in fact sometimes the more concise the better.

I just think that if some forum owners are reluctant to give everyone the benefit of having dofollows in links the post length idea could be a solution.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Party Animal,
I know you have your own forums as well, experience will teach you why a forum owner needs a minimum word when you have loads of idiots who are just looking to run up their post count with post that contain one or two words that are completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Party Animal

White Belt
I do appreciate the problem. The thing is I have been using the bigger webmasters forums for years and never really came across too many of these types of posts.

So I had a look at the guidance notes for one large webmasters forum and they don't allow them at all.

So I would guess that the mods delete them and warn the member not to do it again.

So could an alternative to the larger post thing be tighter moderation?

Just a thought.....................

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Close moderation is one issue, but in small forums like this, you do not have that many moderators so you use technology to deal with it.

In some forums, you are actually banned for such post.

My preferred solution is using technology, you just deny them what they are looking for by placing no follow on their post without penalising legitimate posters.

I do appreciate the problem. The thing is I have been using the bigger webmasters forums for years and never really came across too many of these types of posts.

So I had a look at the guidance notes for one large webmasters forum and they don't allow them at all.

So I would guess that the mods delete them and warn the member not to do it again.

So could an alternative to the larger post thing be tighter moderation?

Just a thought.....................

darkstar_tfd

Yellow Belt
I have in mind the issue that comes up when a member should only post few words in order to give a good reply.

What if I do not need that many words to offer a good solution to a programming thing ?

Or maybe some members choose to "quote" another member and add chars to their posts -> how would you fix this ?

Still a lot of things to be solved and the matter is not that easy to close

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
The way I'd look at it is this way. If a member is a 'regular' then he's likely to post quite frequently.

Some posts will be short, thus a nofollow on links, and those which are longer become dofollow.

Does it really matter in the long run? He's still going to benefit from posting, even if not all links are dofollow.

darkstar_tfd

Yellow Belt
Yes, but in the same time another member that is not that active in the forum can have around 30 posts with a lot of content, quoting others to add more chars in his post and this way he earns more in 30 posts than an active member would in 200.

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.