Sites Replicating Themselves on my Computer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I'm posting this in here because I suspect that I may have a problem with some sort of virus/trojan or whatever on my computer.

Here's what happens: On occasions when I'm in IE I find I can't close a web page. It can be any page, not just one specific site.

Not only can't I close the window, the site starts to replicate itself, and within 30 seconds I might have 20 of the same page, in minimized size, all reproducing.

I can't close the windows fast enough to keep up, and eventually the only solution is for me to turn the computer off, then back on. That clears the problem up until the next time, which could be several weeks later.

When I use Firefox, which is the vast majority of the time, this never happens Just on occasions I get a message it's stopped responding and needs to close down.

The IE problem actually happened yesterday, and while it's fresh in my mind I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any idea of what the problem might be. :confused:

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I remember having this problem a while back, I had to switch my computer off because I could not keep up with closing the windows being opened, don't quite remember how I fixed the problem.. I think you should just upgrade you IE to the latest version and see of that cures the problem.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Not the computer, but the browser. See if you can update the browser to the latest, also see that your vista is patched with the latest updates from Microsoft

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I always carry out any updates Microsoft inform me about, so I don't see that as the problem.

I thought that rather than upgrading to the latest browser, which I might even have, I'd try something less drastic, which someone advised.

He told me to Reboot, hit F8 before I got to the Windows loading screen to get the boot menu.

Then to select "Safe mode with networking"

I then went to http://www.ccleaner.com/download/downloading and installed CCleaner, and under the Advanced Options, turned off the option "don't delete anything less than 24hrs old" then ran the cleaner.

I then went to http://malwarebytes.org and installed AntiMalware - getting all the updates on it, then ran a full scan and cleaned everything that it found.

Malwarebytes found 4 infections, 3 of which were registry related.

I'll have to wait and see now whether the problem is resolved, as I try not to use IE all that often.

Status
Not open for further replies.