News/ Info Slovakia swaps korunas for euros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Slovakia has joined the eurozone from the first of January 2009, bringing the countries using the single currency to 16.

There has been debates about UK joining the eurozone given that a pound is now virtually equal to one Euro.

odls

Yellow Belt
I never knew they'd changed to Euros.

I remember that when countries such as Spain and Greece changed there were complaints that prices had increased in those countries.

On balance I think it'd be a good thing for the UK to change to the Euro. It's nonsensical to have to pay charges every time we need to convert money over for holidays, worry about the strength (or weakness) of the £ and so on.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I quite agree with you that Britain should join but I do not like the staigh jacket that Euro seem to force on countries in the eurozone. For one thing you lose control of the ability to control your own interest rates.

There was a poll by the BBC which found out that over 70% of Brit still do not wan to join Eurozone despite pounds parity with euro.

I never knew they'd changed to Euros.

I remember that when countries such as Spain and Greece changed there were complaints that prices had increased in those countries.

On balance I think it'd be a good thing for the UK to change to the Euro. It's nonsensical to have to pay charges every time we need to convert money over for holidays, worry about the strength (or weakness) of the £ and so on.

SenseiDesign

Yellow Belt
I think it'S pretty good that they joined, espicially for the rest of europe :D because prices will increase and prevent companies going there to produce cheaper.

and the second point is that the euro might drop about a few points which can be good for the export.....

I think it would be a good idea for the uk to change to euro because the euro will keep it's whorth in 98% of all cases but the pound can drop..... it also would mean a kind of reorientation which will be good for everybody

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for that contribution sensi, I am not quite convinced that UK should join Euro, the bit I dislike most is that our central bank will become useless and EU controls economic decison for all countries in eurozone.

I think it'S pretty good that they joined, espicially for the rest of europe :D because prices will increase and prevent companies going there to produce cheaper.

and the second point is that the euro might drop about a few points which can be good for the export.....

I think it would be a good idea for the uk to change to euro because the euro will keep it's whorth in 98% of all cases but the pound can drop..... it also would mean a kind of reorientation which will be good for everybody

SenseiDesign

Yellow Belt
ok thats a fact I can agree on but it worked out pretty good in the past for nearly every country in the eurozone

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
the bit I dislike most is that our central bank will become useless and EU controls economic decison for all countries in eurozone.
True, but until recently that has meant that for a long time European interest rates have been below those of the UK, which most people benefit from.

Status
Not open for further replies.