Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

My Experience Small Business And Internet Marketing - They Told Me They Dont Need It!

Discussion in 'General Marketing and Promotion' started by fisker, Feb 22, 2016.

1. fisker

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    ======Based on true story=======

This is for all the small business owners out there; this is a case study on whether small businesses really need internet or online marketing to grow. Most small business owners are still of the opinion that they do not need an online presence.

At the most, they will agree with web designers and local marketing service providers to build them a website for them. But getting yourself a site is not enough, there is more to it. What good is a site that is not visited by your potential customers? As a small business website owner, your best bet is Search Engine Optimization or SEO as it is commonly known.

[​IMG]

Your customers are searching for you on search engines and if they fail to find you, you are sitting cold turkey as your competitor takes away the prize.

The difference is that a savvy and knowledgeable small business owner knows and understands the power and importance of SEO, but to the uninitiated, this is more like a marketing fad.
    So what are some of the common roadblocks that is stopping small business owners from making the shift?

No need for more customers:

This is one of the most common theories that I am thrown at whenever I go visit some office to offer my domain / hosting / designing services. They say – I don’t need more customers as I already have my hands full. Why should I even bother as I am making enough?
    If you are happy and content so be it, but remember that customers can always move to some other provider, and then you will be left out in cold.

Customers are offline

This is another one which seems downright stupid to me atleast. All my customers are offline and so I don’t need online presence or online marketing.

These are those businessmen who are looking to find customers through contacts and references. While there is nothing wrong in pursuing this particular form of marketing, it is also important to not ignore the customers who are using their smartphones on the go looking for solutions and services. Google serves 5 billion searches every day and there are over 1 billion active facebook users. Are you really sure your customers are not looking for the solutions you are offering on these platforms?

It will not work for me

Some say it will not work for me while others say to me that it failed to get me any results. The truth is that half of them didn’t even tried and the remaining half gave up too quickly. SEO takes time and patience and few have them, but for the select few who do have them, this can be a very rewarding experience.

[​IMG]

If it didn’t worked for you when you tried it, then it simply means that there were some errors in the execution process. Maybe you need to choose someone who really knows his stuff (hint: me).

Expensive

The moment I tell them the costs involved, they are like whoa... it is too expensive and I don’t think it is worth the money. What they fail to understand is that it is an investment that will yield results over a period of time.

2. Pooja Sharma

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +20 / -0
    No business can exist without showing its online existence.There are number of marketing websites which have specific plans as per the requirements of Small Business.Instead these online marketing brands are focusing more on Small Business and too have called their names for services as Small Business , examples Aabaco Small Business, MailChimp for small businesses and many more. It is the fact that to earn more even a single penny is countable.Every business have its own position whether it's big or small.

3. niranjan kumar

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    In older days online marketing not required but these days everyone need online marketing for their growth. If you are doing online marketing your competitor leave behind you.

Sent from my Le X507 using Tapatalk

4. fisker

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    Yes that is true. Online marketing has become the cornerstone for every business, but explaining this to your clients is what making the work more of a headache. Anyone has any ideas on how to resolve this issue.

5. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    Your story has some confusing concerns. All we know that online presence is beneficial for all businesses and services providers too. But your analysis is against on this.

6. fisker

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    How is that? I have shared the responses I receive commonly when I visit an office and ask them to get a website for their products / services and engage in SEO / marketing.

Please explain

7. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    Internet marketing is important for small business because most of the customers who buy locally will first do research prior to making a decision. If you set up a site for your business, you must know how to SEO optimize it so that it can rank higher and reach out to more prospective customers. Statistic shows that almost 90% online searchers don't search past the first page. Internet marketing is something that every business should not overlook because more and more people are using their mobile device such as smartphone and tablet to browse the web when they are at WIFI Hotspot places like restaurant and shops.