Students aim for career in games

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

csilla

Competition for jobs in video game development has never been higher.

The release of new consoles has lead to a downturn in sales of games for older platforms, while the market for next-generation games has not yet matured.

The result has been a fall in global games software revenues of nearly $3bn (£1.5bn; 2bn euros) in the last two years, according to media analysts Screen Digest.

So how hard is it to break into the games industry at a time like this?

Matt Jeffrey, head of recruitment for Electronic Arts (EA) in Europe, receives hundreds of applications for every new design and development position he offers.

"The strongest talent pool in the world is residing in the UK and Europe so our challenge is to get the most talented individuals into our studio," said Mr Jeffrey.

Potential talent can come from a number of sources.

"Some of those people could be working on a game degree now," Mr Jeffrey said.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6428359.stm

wasku

Yellow Belt
When i was a kid i wanted to help design video games. But i did not know how to start or what college. Sucked! oh well.

D

devilbatista

Competition for jobs in video game development has never been higher.

The release of new consoles has lead to a downturn in sales of games for older platforms, while the market for next-generation games has not yet matured.

The result has been a fall in global games software revenues of nearly $3bn (£1.5bn; 2bn euros) in the last two years, according to media analysts Screen Digest.

So how hard is it to break into the games industry at a time like this?

Matt Jeffrey, head of recruitment for Electronic Arts (EA) in Europe, receives hundreds of applications for every new design and development position he offers.

"The strongest talent pool in the world is residing in the UK and Europe so our challenge is to get the most talented individuals into our studio," said Mr Jeffrey.

Potential talent can come from a number of sources.

"Some of those people could be working on a game degree now," Mr Jeffrey said.

source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6428359.stm

This sounds interesting. I will check the link.

Blackleo

White Belt
Blizzard is always hiring people for graphic designs and stuff like that. Thus the new crappy season 3 gear !!! Lol but blizz should pay well.

Status
Not open for further replies.