Supermarkets selling alcohol cheaper than water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Research has found that it costs less to quench your thirst with alcohol than bottled water at leading supermarkets.
Discounted own-brand alcohol is sold for as little as 23p per can, according to the drink and drug charity Addaction.
This research comes on the eve of Government plans to tackle binge drinking.
New laws, to be unveiled on Wednesday, will ban pubs, clubs and shops from "irresponsible" price promotions.

full story

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
I'm not sure price is much of a factor in whether young people buy or don't buy alcohol.

If they want it badly enough they'll beg, steal, or borrow to get it.

Then who suffers? The ones they rob to get hold of their money, just like those who buy illegal drugs.

Alcohol is cheaper in many European countries, yet they don't have the problems we have.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
So what do you think is the cause of the problem we have in UK then? Perhaps price is not the sum total of the reason but I am sure it has some part to play in the problem.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
So what do you think is the cause of the problem we have in UK then? Perhaps price is not the sum total of the reason but I am sure it has some part to play in the problem.
I really wish I knew, temi.

Some years ago I went on holiday to Denmark. As I travelled round I noticed that there was virtually no graffiti. Bicycles were tied up next to bus stops out in the country. The crime rate is low, even among the young.

It's as though even among the young, anti-social behaviour is unacceptable.

I was really impressed by what I saw.

My brother used to live in Spain. Where he lived wasn't too close to the big Costas. We used to travel to the beaches which were mainly used by the local Spaniards. We could walk around the town at midnight, with little fear of lager louts, vandalism, and the like.

It's all down to culture, and unfortunately the UK now has this lager loutish culture and I really think nothing will change it. So sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.