The Bookseller of Kabul" by Asne Seierstad

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Red Baron

I'm going to get this book this week as it was the second one and suggested by FLY.

I'll read it as quickly as I can - anyone else going to join in? - then we can do 'The Time Travellers Wife'

RB

B

becky sharp

Hi Fly

I enjoyed it as a look at their way of life and thought it was amazing that a woman journalist lived with them for was it four months?

Something that struck me whilst reading it was there seems to be a permanent state of unhappiness ......life seems so bleak.

I would hate to be a woman living there

At first I thought Sultan would be a forward thinking man because of his love of books but alas no.

I would like to know how they all fared since Asne Seierstad left.

I am now reading The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold and have 'The Time Travellers Wife' from the library for my next read.........I think

P

Pondgirl

Becky, I absolutely loved The Time-Travellers Wife. I can't remember the las time I openly sobbed reading a novel :D

I'm reading The Kite Runner at the moment and thoroughly enjoying it, but as we are very short of good books at the moment I'm taking it slowly. I'll let you know what I think eventually 8)

PG

B

becky sharp

Hi Pondgirl.... :wave:

Time Traveller's Wife is a great favourite with my daughter also.......

As for The Kite Runner Eric The Red is a big fan and has exhorted with me to read it which I will ..... ..eventually..... :D

F

FLYBYNIGHT

Hi Becky

I , also loved The Time Traveller's Wife and The Lovely Bones, a very unusual book.
You're going to have a FEAST.

FLY XX

S

scorpio

I have heard nothing but praise for Time Travellers Wife...and Lovely Bones sticks in my mind...also a book by Bella Pollen "Hunting Unicorns"..?...will check on that...well worth a read...

As for sobbing..."Strange Meeting" by Susan Hill...devastating.

F

FLYBYNIGHT

Two more to put on my list then, Scorps.
You should see the pile of books on my bedside table, all "to be read".
If only I hadn't heard of message boards..........

S

scorpio

Thats me Fly...I used to read about 6 - 7 a month..now I'm lucky if I can manage 2.. :oops:

S

scorpio

Yes..Becky...I loved it..My boss recomended it...and I thought it was superb..I read a lot..and some blend into one another..but this one stood out...as did "Hunting Unicorns"...and Strange Meeting.

B

becky sharp

I knew,of course, what Lovely Bones was about Scorps but the opening lines....

"My name is Salmon,like the fish,first name Susie. I was fourteen, when I was murdered, on December the 16th" ...still made me start

A fascinating,if grim, read

B

becky sharp

FLYBYNIGHT said:
Hi Becky

The Lovely Bones, a very unusual book.

FLY XX
Hi Fly

Yes it is, as i said to Scorps, it's a fascinating, if grim, book...have you read Lucky by Alice Sebold?

F

FLYBYNIGHT

Hi Becky,

No, I haven't read "Lucky", is it good?
It's always nice to get recommendations for our Reading Group. Another one I would never have read if it hadn't been recommended was: "The Secret Life of Bees". Very little to do with bees, actually, but a lovely story.

B

becky sharp

Fly,

As i was writing that last post the 'phone rang .....I had meant to put I hadn't read Lucky :? but it's on my 'to read' list......... :D sorry about that..... :oops: .... :D

F

FLYBYNIGHT

My list is getting ever longer, is yours?
And then there's th pile of books by my bed.... Will I ever get through them all?

I still think it was one of the saddest things when my husband suddenly died. He was halfway through: "Reflect on Things Past" The Memoirs of Lord Carrington.
Somehow it didn't seem right that he wasn't allowed to finish it first.
Who arranges these things?

FLY XX

B

becky sharp

FLYBYNIGHT said:
My list is getting ever longer, is yours?
And then there's th pile of books by my bed.... Will I ever get through them all?

I still think it was one of the saddest things when my husband suddenly died. He was halfway through: "Reflect on Things Past" The Memoirs of Lord Carrington.
Somehow it didn't seem right that he wasn't allowed to finish it first.
Who arranges these things?

FLY XX
A hug to you Fly....xx

I have a pile of books I haven't read and then I buy new ones???? or go to the library and pick others up ..... :?
I intend reading The Time Traveller's Wife after I've finished The Lovely Bones ...which I'll never get finished if I keep coming on here.... :lol:

F

FLYBYNIGHT

You're as bad as me, Becky, I do exactly the same thing.

But it's a wonder we get any reading done at all really, isn't it?

Thanks for the hug X Always welcome!

FLY

B

becky sharp

I read that Peter Jackson..(Lord of The Rings)is making a film of The Lovely Bones

Status
Not open for further replies.