The Curse of Steptoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

becky sharp

Usually a high standard of drama on BBC 4 so am looking forward to this and the others in the series

The Curse of Steptoe Wednesday 19 March
9:00pm - 10:05pm
BBC4
"It's practically Beckett," says Harry H Corbett (Jason Isaacs) of the programme that propelled him and Wilfrid Brambell to TV stardom. But Godot never turns up in Samuel Beckett, and similarly, satisfaction and happiness elude the actors who played the father-and-son rag-and-bone men in the classic sitcom. Writer Brian Fillis has followed his Fanny Cradock drama Fear of Fanny with this portrayal of the actors who made Galton and Simpson's Steptoes into giant TV characters. Up until then, sitcoms were vehicles for comedians, not a rising young star of radical theatre like Corbett. He's all brawny heterosexuality as played by Isaacs, where Phil Davis's Brambell is genteel and repressed. Their stories are new to most of us and perfectly credible in this episodic story. Best of all we see them sparring, irritating each other, pulling Harold and Albert into life in rehearsal. They and the period details are invoked, not mimicked, and the result is more than nostalgic entertainment - it works as poignant drama, too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Others to follow...Ken Stott as Hancock....Trevor Eve as Hughie Green and David Walliams as Frankie Howerd

O

Oldraver

You've nicked that from the RT, Becky...I read that earlier.... :lol:

I am so looking forward to this. Suspect I won't be in on Wednesday evening to see it..but it's repeated on Good Friday.

All the programmes in this little series look mouthwatering.

Long live BBC 4....let's hope Lame Desley never gets her filthy mitts on it. :evil:

B

becky sharp

Oldraver said:
You've nicked that from the RT, Becky...I read that earlier.... :lol:
:
You're right Raver......I confess.... :oops: ... :D
Oldraver said:
I am so looking forward to this. Suspect I won't be in on Wednesday evening to see it..but it's repeated on Good Friday.

All the programmes in this little series look mouthwatering.:
:thumbleft:
Oldraver said:
Long live BBC 4....let's hope Lame Desley never gets her filthy mitts on it. :evil:
Allehuia to that ...pesky woman... :evil:

O

Oldraver

A fantastic programme...full of the pathos that made the series so legendary.

Faultless performances from Jason Isaacs and Phil Davis.

The ending was so sad...with Harry unable to get acting work, and having to take on a Steptoe tour of Australia..when he thought he had laid that particular ghost to rest.

Following on from that..I know that the two loathed each other so much, that they refused to travel on the same plane.

And some trivia...does anyone know what the H in Harry H Corbett stood for..?

M

marianne mooncalf

Harry H maintained (in his well rounded voice) that it stood for "H'anything", he added it to stop people confusing him with Harry 'Sooty' Corbett.

Do I win??? Is there a prize, you clean old man (echoes of 'A Hard Day's Night')

R

Roland Butter

Indeed you do win marianne. And, just for the sake of trivia, Harry H Corbett was a former sergeant in the Royal Marines.

O

Oldraver

marianne mooncalf said:
Harry H maintained (in his well rounded voice) that it stood for "H'anything", he added it to stop people confusing him with Harry 'Sooty' Corbett.

Do I win??? Is there a prize, you clean old man (echoes of 'A Hard Day's Night')
Nobody likes a smartass....... 8)

Nice one Rollers....didn't know that....or have we talked about this before..? i'm getting deja vu.....think it's time for bed.... :shock:

M

marianne mooncalf

Oh, am I a smartass now? Makes a change from being mad. :wink:

Wonderful performances, I'd my doubts about people portraying such well known characters, never mind portraying the actors behind them but Jason Isaacs and Phil Davis were so accurate they were scary.... I forgot they weren't the real mc coy. I'm ashamed to say I hadn't heard of either of them prior to this, but they were superb.

Michael Sheen was just as brilliant as Kenneth Williams.

Who's playing Tony Hancock?

B

becky sharp

Fabulous drama from the BBC.... :thumbleft: with a feast of great acting from Phil Davies and Jason Isaacs and we learn (well I did ) that the writers had to be cajoled into writing more for what turned out to be two classic comedy characters

marianne mooncalf said:
Who's playing Tony Hancock?
Ken Stott

S

scorpio

Doh! I missed this.. :roll:

I used to love Steptoe as a kid, the image of Wilfred Bramble bathing in the sink is an image that stayed with me.. :shock:

On the subject of Harry H Corbett, his daughter is an actress and writer..she has gorgeous hair.. 8)

She was in a few things in the early 90s, including the first and best episodes of Dalziel and Pascoe.

"Susannah is an actress who works in TV, film and the West End. Instead of luvvie gossip in the caravan on location, she prefers to write stories. She says her most frightening experience was doing stand-up at The Comedy Store."

Just thought you'd like to know..

L

Lord Evan Elpuss

becky sharp said:
Oldraver said:
Allehuia to that ...pesky woman... :evil:
I wonder how far I can boot her today he says, not normally advocating violence towards women!

O

Oldraver

scorpio said:
Doh! I missed this.. :roll:

I used to love Steptoe as a kid, the image of Wilfred Bramble bathing in the sink is an image that stayed with me.. :shock:

On the subject of Harry H Corbett, his daughter is an actress and writer..she has gorgeous hair.. 8)

She was in a few things in the early 90s, including the first and best episodes of Dalziel and Pascoe.

"Susannah is an actress who works in TV, film and the West End. Instead of luvvie gossip in the caravan on location, she prefers to write stories. She says her most frightening experience was doing stand-up at The Comedy Store."

Just thought you'd like to know..
Thanks for that, Scorps..you know what an anorak I am.... :shock:

It's on again tomorrow evening..don't miss.

S

scorpio

I will watch it.. 8)

She seems like a really nice person. Grounded.

She's gorgeous and I hate her.

:lol:

O

Oldraver

The second in the series..about Tony Hancock, if anything...was even better.

An immense performance from Ken Stott as Hancock. I'll be surprised if he doesn't get a BAFTA for it.

One more post..and it's the dreaded 10,000..... :shock:

M

Mike Reynolds

I can't get BBC4, wonder if these programmes will be available on DVD, or is the latest one on I-Player?

Mike

I

Ian Mac

Belated congrats Raver on your ten grand..........

:mw2: :no1poster: :eek:ldraver:

O

Oldraver

Cheers Ian....I reckon about another four weeks.....and i'll be returning the compliment.

:redw:

M

Mike Reynolds

Just watched the Hancock one, absolutely brilliant, compelling. Masterful performances, and yes, Ken Stott should get a BAFTA.

Well done to the Beeb for an amazing programme, dreadfully sad. What a tortured soul poor Tony was. A man who never realised his own genius, and neveer realised how much people loved him.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.