The pope has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
His Holiness Pope John Paul II, born Karol Józef Wojtyła ( Polish pronunciation?.), (May 18, 1920 – April 2, 2005) was Pope from October 16, 1978 until his death. He was the first non-Italian pope in 455 years and the first of Slavic origin in the history of the Church. He spoke out against communism, unbridled capitalism and political oppression. He stood firmly against abortion as well as contraception and defended the Church's approach to human sexuality. He was recognized as not only a religious leader, but a world leader.

He made over 100 trips abroad, travelling a distance far greater than that travelled by all other popes combined. These trips were seen as an outward sign of the efforts at global bridge-building between nations and between religions that were central to his pontificate. John Paul II beatified and canonized far more persons than any previous pope. His pontificate was the third-longest pontificate in the history of the Papacy (after Pius IX and St Peter).

Pope John Paul II died after a long fight against Parkinson's disease, among other illnesses, at the age of 84 on April 2, 2005, at 21:37 (GMT +2). His final hours were marked by an overwhelming number of younger people who kept vigil outside his Vatican apartments. In his last message, specifically to the youth of the world, he said: "I came to you, now it's you who have come to me. I thank you."

His funeral is expected to take place on April 7, 2005. A conclave will assemble beginning between April 17 and April 22 to conduct a Papal Election to elect a new Pope

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_II

Viper

Yellow Belt
John121 said:
Hpmh.. what did the Pope do in the UK anyway? I really dont understand what a Pope does..
He was the head of the catholic church and he went around meeting people and making speeches

I

imported_rallyfan

its a great shame that he died, since many people depended on his actions and now the old guy has died.

Viper

Yellow Belt
rallyfan said:
its a great shame that he died, since many people depended on his actions and now the old guy has died.
If you ask me he did not do much but people that were catholic saw him as a god.
The weird thing was tht thay showed his body in the wesminster cathedral
:eek:

I

imported_rallyfan

his body will be seen at many various locations in the next week.

Patrick

Yellow Belt
hahah that reminds me, my friends were due to start a holiday

rallyfan said:
It's a shame when anyone dies but i don't believe that anyone depended on his actions...a lot of people thought they did though.

Status
Not open for further replies.