My 2 Cents The Rise And Fall Of Friendster And Myspace In Social Networking World

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!

Hello guys!

Right now, I am going to share something that you might remember back then. I think this is almost forgotten by the ones who are into the social networking world several years back. I am going to share a little flashback topic here, so are you ready for this one ladies and gentlemen?

Remember Friendster and Myspace? We're talking about two social networks that has been long forgotten. They have been dominating the social networking world in the early 2000's. As a matter of fact, they are the top two social networks during that era before Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and others emerged. Anyway, I am going to reveal my own thoughts about Friendster and Myspace.

My own experience with Friendster and Myspace

When I was in my early college years, the first social network that I joined was Friendster. To be honest, I wasn't addicted to social networking before until I got lots of friends there. The good thing about Friendster is that you can edit your profile's background in any way by using HTML codes. After Friendster, my friend introduced me to another social network called Myspace, and I decided to check them out for good. They are pretty decent social networks I have ever seen, and I'm giving them a try.

However, I still used Friendster more than Myspace during that time, because I had lots of friends there. Myspace's design was better than Friendster, but it doesn't stop them from being the best social network in the era. I believe that Friendster is still the world's first social network to be introduced in the internet. It was continued to dominate other existing social networks around the corner, and I believed that they can make a difference to be the best, and Myspace was the second.

But not for long.....

The emergence on Facebook

After few years, Mark Zuckerberg has introduced Facebook social network to the internet. It was not yet popular though, and I did registered an account there when Friendster and Myspace are still the best ones on the planet. But something incredible happened on why Facebook has attracted millions of social networkers worldwide. They have unique and out of the box features that Friendster and Myspace don't have. It took them a few years before they are surpassing Friendster and Myspace. This is where I decided to shift to Facebook and say goodbye to both of them.

But it was a fun and learning experience for me in using both of these social networks, Friendster and Myspace. But due to Facebook that was increasing its popularity and now the world's best social network in this era, Friendster has informed their users that they would shut down last May 31, 2011. Instead, they are going to convert themselves into an online gaming and entertainment community. They are even sold to MOL Global last 2009.

Where are they now?

As of now, here are the latest updates of both of them:

Friendster - The last time I logged in to my Friendster account, they are just full of games and entertainment that we can play. I think the community has enjoyed playing games there with Friendster. They even had a Friendster wallet, in which the players can load their accounts with game credits for in-game purchases. But right now, as I have checked Friendster, they have paused their services since June 14, 2015 due that they are rethinking different strategies and tactics in order to make a difference once again in the market. I'm glad that they just paused and not giving up yet, and I know Friendster will get back stronger than ever.

Myspace - When I checked the whole website, Myspace is now a music website with the latest updates, music search option and so on. Since they can't compete with Facebook and other existing social networks anymore, they have shifted into music industry. Myspace's music and entertainment website's design is cool and professional, and we can play any song that we want, which can be searched within their platform.

Conclusion

For me, I think Friendster and Myspace can still make a difference in the internet, but through a whole new level. They may not be back to compete with Facebook and other social networks, but they still have a great opportunity in the other side of the world. I am still looking forward for both of them to become successful in a few years. I wish them both the best of luck, as long they're never giving up to make a great statement on who they are, and would reborn once and for all.

Manish Mishra

Content Writer
A good explanation my friend.
I remember, there were the days when Myspace were stood a great place in the social sites. MySpace was the first social site i logged into, later with hi5. Facebook was comparatively new to MySpace and very few active members.
But see the difference, between them now.

jazzvaga

More traffic comes up on facebook first instead of other social networks mentioned above. The core reason is targeting a niche of users by these platforms that are interested in growing their business. With friendster & myspace, the limitation is upto dating, sharing your business, liking others but FB offers you varied options like promotions, ads, pages, groups, reaching to your target audience.

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!
More traffic comes up on facebook first instead of other social networks mentioned above. The core reason is targeting a niche of users by these platforms that are interested in growing their business. With friendster & myspace, the limitation is upto dating, sharing your business, liking others but FB offers you varied options like promotions, ads, pages, groups, reaching to your target audience.
I completely agree with you @jazzvaga about the limitations of Friendster and Myspace. They are more focused on relationships, sharing or so. Facebook is relatively new during the time both Friendster and Myspace are still dominating. But due to the interesting features of Facebook that is way more than what you get in both Friendster and Myspace, it turned things around. As of today, Facebook is now the best social network in the internet today. Friendster is still trying to figure out their next strategy, while Myspace is just a music search platform. But I still believe that both of them can make a comeback one day.

masterbusiness

Content Writer
I personally prefer Facebook over other social networking sites due to its simple, easy-to-use and versatile features. It also gives valuable information to users than just merely allowing users to give testimonies about their friends.

bharath

I know Myspace when I was using Orkut as it was my favorite social networking site at that time. I never looked or concentrated on Facebook to utilize these social network sites.

Never heard about Friendster until today before reading this thread. At this stage it is tough to beat Facebook because they have more funds more memberships, more bribes to the leaders.