Help Me/Question Tips for balance a full-time job and a side-job?

brendaanne3

I have a full-time job but I also have blog that I'm monetizing but I find it's really hard to balance both while still trying to have some time that isn't revolved around working.

Any tips?

Zak

Your question relates to most of our fellow members including myself. Sometimes, it gets too hectic and I'd say to myself 'Get a Life!' :mad: From what I understand, the key to any challenging condition is discipline and patience.

We all get just 24 hours per day in our life, what matters is how we manage these 24 hours and what are our priorities in life.. oops its getting a bit philosophical here pardon me :p

But seriously, while money is important, so is our health, our social well being and our overall happiness. As they say, money cannot buy happiness, but it can and does buy us things we need which make us happy. What I would do to balance my full time job, my side hustle and my personal and social life is prioritize and commit to a discipline or schedule. Good time management is key in getting most out of your 24 hours while not focusing more on low priority stuff and dedicating more time to high priority stuff. And then it all depends on what your responsibilities are, if you are a mom, you have to worry about kids, if you are a student you also have to worry about studies and so forth. Planning for long term is better than planning for the short term benefits. A student ruining their grades or GPA while studying to be an Nurse because he or she spend 4 hours a day earning $10 is not worth the trouble considering what is being lost for the extra $10 a day.

Some Tips I can think of off the top of my head are:
  • Prioritize, prioritize, prioritize - Rank your responsibilities and tasks based on priority and based on how much value you receive for per hour dedicated to that task. Family and social relationships do not have a financial value but in terms of ranking they can be ranked based on how important those are to an individual.
  • Time management - set goals for yourself to dedicate slots of time for each activity and only divert yourself from those tasks when that time is needed for higher priority tasks. Blogging 1 hour a day might give me $1 a day of income which is something I like, but if my younger brother is sick or someone's child is sick, they might have to divert this 1 hour to taking care of their sibling or child, which would be higher priority in most people's lives.

• Optimize time usage - This actually fits into the time management part but I am adding this separately because we sometimes do not realize how we waste time due to non-optimum ways of doing things. Find ways to optimize your tasks, everything we do in our daily life can be optimized to gain the most benefit from that time slot. For example, if I am doing laundry, once I put my clothes into the machine, I cannot stop doing everything else just because I am waiting for the laundry to be done so I can put them in a dryer. Rather, I set a timer or alarm to remind me when the washing is expected to be completed, I already planned out other tasks I am going to do while the laundry gets done so I put my clothes into the machine, start preparing dinner- multitasking. Even here, the cooking part has its own optimum ways of doing, how you can prepare two dishes in the same amount of time by optimizing your steps like thawing the meat in advance if it was in the freezer, marinating in advance by pre-planning, etc.

• Avoid wastage of time by distractions - Not so rarely I encounter situations where I've planned to finish certain tasks which are of certain priority but my friends or family would suddenly like me to join an unplanned social event or watch a movie. If you succumb to each such temptation, you end up losing vital hours each month which could be spent in productive work. Instead, you should allow time for yourself when you would like to socialize, listen to music, relax, take a bath or go out to a party. Try to stick to schedules so even your friends or relatives know that to have you with them, they have to inform you in advance and setup a time estimate so you can plan in advance and finish other tasks before devoting time to these social or leisure activities.

• Kill Stress the silent killer - With all this multitasking, optimizations, schedules and deadlines we are opening our minds and bodies to the silent killer called stress. If we let that happen, instead of being super productive we end up being in a slump unable to finish even mundane tasks when we are stressed. Not to mention the stomach ulcers and weird problems stress brings into our lives. Have a plan to kill stress before it kills you. Take up hobbies and dedicate some time to them, things which make you relaxed and smiling. It is best if your side job involves your hobby, for example if my hobby is photography and my side job is all about writing blogs about photography or taking pictures of products, it would not feel so stressful as compared to taking orders as McDonalds or telemarketing.

Practice relaxation techniques like meditation, yoga, working out, etc which lower stress levels and help your body and mind recover from all the work. This will eventually give you more productive hours with a more healthy mind and body in the long term.
If anyone has better tips to add please let me know, these were my 2 cents :D

pwarbi

Times are hard these days and it seemed that more and more people are having to juggle a full time job with other means of making money.

While I understand that money IS important, so is taking time out to enjoy some time for yourself. I know people who are working 60+ hours a week and while their bank balance might be healthy, their lifestyle certainly isn't.

networld

I have seen people using a large number of sites to earn money and end up in big losses as most of them turn scams. I think we should stick to a few good earning sites and be active in those. It is very essential to filter out the genuine ones before joining the sites.

At the same time, I would not recommend working on a single site as it is not good to put all your eggs in a single basket. The recent Bubblews scam is a classic example. A lot of people were depending on it as a source of income and they were startled when it stopped paying. Focusing on a few good, legit opportunities will defenitely give you handsome money over time.

brendaanne3

Wow! Thank you all so much for the tips and advice. It's definitely a hard task but it's good to know I'm not the only one that has to get it done. Definitely taking these tips to heart.

sunshine

Blue Belt
Wow! Thank you all so much for the tips and advice. It's definitely a hard task but it's good to know I'm not the only one that has to get it done. Definitely taking these tips to heart.
Sure you are not alone, we're with you too.
Most of the bloggers and entrepreneurs has been working part time and almost at late night.
As a tip just take care your health and eat fresh fruits or take fresh juice to keep your mind fresh.
Be happy, be bold and keep in touch with the community having your interests, just to take new experiences and to aware current market strategies.

Last edited:

networld

Sure you are not alone, we're with you too.
Most of the bloggers and entrepreneurs has been working part time and almost at late night.
As a tip just take care your health and fresh fruits or fresh juice to keep your mind fresh.
Be happy, be bold and keep in touch with the community having your interests, just to take new experiences and aware current market strategies.
You have summarized it well. You are right that we need to take care of our health to get the desired results. Sometimes online jobs are quite tiresome and I have seen people sacrificing their sleep for want of more money. But that is not a wise thing to do. Once you are out of your sleeping routine, it will get accumulated over time and affect your health very badly. So, it is very necessary to get enough sleep to keep you active online and offline as well.

A healthy mind only resides in a healthy body.

Zak

Thanks for voting my post as best! I wonder how many votes it takes for me to win my first Best Post.

Cleveland Williams

Content Writer
Id like to recommend visiting a relaxing place with your laptop while blogging. I often enjoy visiting StarBucks, because of the atmosphere is very chill and relaxed, to do my writing. I'm not sure of your location, but here in South Florida the beach is the best place to go and write if you enjoy writing on your tablet or smart phone. If you do not have access to the beach, a nice quite park would make an awesome substitute. On your days off from work, seek out a nice environment to write and maybe it won't seem so much like a job.

cheezcarls

It's Game Time!
Here's my own experience before when I have a full time job and a side job. First, I organize myself by writing down my daily schedule. I simply identify what time am I free. During that time, I was working 9 am to 5 pm full time job, and I spend 2 hours taking a break, relaxing, reading self-help books and refreshing my mind. When I got home at night after dinner and other things to do, I normally spend at least till its 12 midnight. I usually sleep around 6 hours or less a day (no problem with me because I take natural organic vitamins and makes me fully energized and get better sleep quality). So it's all about the reason why I am doing this for a better future not just for myself, but for the family as well.

Vinaya

Sadly, I don';t have a regular job. My main source of income is writing on print and web. I also do farming to support my family. I am a small farmer and a writer. Since I am a freelancer I work in my convenience. There is no one to dictate me. Having said that I also go through financial crisis because I don't have a regular stream of income source.

skylimit

Content Writer
Zak you deserve it. :)
If you have seen many of the online marketers are quitting there offline job because they find online jobs better than offline.

You can take out time from your busy schedule by taking some small intermediate breaks in between your usual office hours. You can also develop a habit of spending the time on your way back home on your blog. It does not take much of time to write a few lines in between, especially when you are passionate about it. Spend few minutes before sleeping, it will give you a better sleep!

ipol12

Yellow Belt
I don't have a regular job but I did before. It's about prioritizing what is more important to you. Of course, since offline job is more sustainable, it should be prioritized then you can do your online job at the latter part of the day. But you need to also consider your health like giving your body a rest to sleep at the right time. So I suggest set at least an hour or two hours to do your online job. Then you will take a rest after that.

Renren

When it comes to balancing your time and schedule you should know what are the things that you really need to do from the things that you don't need not to do. In other words you should know the most important from the lesser important. In this way you can always satisfy yourself that you did all the things that you need to do in that day. You should always know what are your priorities and goal for that day to be able doing the task that you need.

Swati Mishra

Content Writer
Dealing with the time schedule, is the best way you can achieve the target. Doing a regular job has a fix timing and you can do additional side job of few hours. You can calculate the work duration you need for the side job and give the time when you are most free.

ipol12

Yellow Belt
I have a friend who is working offline and his own blog too. He is really good at time management. Aside from his blog, he works in online earning sites too. It thus show how he's good at time management.

grumpypants

To juggle both a full time job and a side job takes a lot of practice with discipline and dedication. I would give yourself small goals when you start your side job, such as putting aside an hour a week (or a couple, if you think you have enough time) which is solely dedicated to this side job. Once you are able to set this time aside and be focused on it for a couple repetitions, try stepping up your game by increasing the number of hours. However, make sure you are also dedicating enough time for other priorities in life: "me" time, family time, chores, etc.

Ramakrishnan

With efficient time management, you can handle both offline and online job efficiently, provided you have a fixed working hours for your regular job and not burdened with overtime work. If you enjoy comfort and peace at home, you can very well utilize 3-4 hours in the night for your online job. Regular meditation will make you more self-confident and spread positive vibes around.