Top 10 self-hosted commerce solutions in 2016
Benefits: Magento can help you to build the web store of your dreams by installing a high quality theme. With magneto you can connect with any tool out there.
- Plenty of features and product attribute to use.
- Professional high quality templates in large numbers.
- No need of updates.
Benefits: WooCommerce is a light application and doesn’t put a strain on your server resources like Magento does. WordPress known people can easily learn WooCommmerce. You can use widgets and high quality plug-in to optimize the templates.
- Makes use of most free and paid wordpress plugins
- Easy setup and configuration
- Beautiful themes at reasonable price
Benefits: Zen Cart is certainly one of the more friendly souls. Zen Cart is concentrates largely on support. Zen Cart is still popular is that it allows non-programmers to adjust some settings in the code if needed . It also has hundreds of well-developed plug-ins.
- Documentation: forums, wiki, guides, you name it!
- Almost 2,000 professional plugins available, most of them free.
- Newbie-friendly code base.
Benefits: osCommerce has a simple interface with which you will quickly become familiar. osCommerce has an even a larger support base than Zen Cart. osCommerce has all the basic features needed and thousands of plugins are available to extend its functionality.
- Warm and friendly.
- Almost unlimited expandability with 7,000 plugins.
- Speed – osCommerce stores are incredibly light weight.
Benefits: OpenCart is easy to work with and provides the ability to edit CSS from within the admin. There are hundreds of professional templates available in here.
- 13,000 professional plugins available.
- Enough built-in integration to get you started immediately.
- Active development, with OpenCart 2.0 due to be released soon.
Benefits: PrestaShop is run by a commercial company. Their built-in feature set is already splendid. They also have many high-quality yet low priced or free plug-ins along with moderately priced professional themes. The way that PrestaShop market and support their product is great. Seeing their excellent product and dedication I won’t be surprised if they would soon begin to top this list.
- Feature set comparable to Magento.
- Extensive documentation and support options, including reasonably priced paid support.
- A plethora of free or low priced plugins and themes of excellent quality.
Benefits: X-Cart ensured a heavy focus on mobile throughout its growth – they were one of the first companies to have a professional responsive base template. X-cart feature are liberal and paired with a simple admin system. You can download additional modules from X-Cart for free or at a lower cost, as well as extensions made by independent developers.
- Extensive documentation and support options.
- More than enough features in free products and free modules.
- X-Cart gives a new meaning to being developer friendly.
Benefits: Spree Commerce is not something you learn within a few minutes. Advance filtering options are used in SpreeCommerce and their terminology will be extremely confusing.
- Suitable for larger web stores.
- Built with Ruby on Rails.
- Professional feature set with large companies in mind.
Benefits: VirtueMart can certainly challenge with PrestaShop on features. Advanced features such as a discount calculator with dozens of price rules and a rating system are built-in. If you want to stick to Joomla! then VirtueMart is an excellent choice.
- Built on Joomla! which provides an easy learning curve for those already familiar with Joomla!.
- Professional and advanced feature set.
- Great support and documentation.
Benefits: It has all the necessary ecommerce features, but isn’t as fully loaded as WooCommerce. But Drupal gives you all kind of freedom and flexibility to enhance the cart yourself. They have both a community and a Q&A section to guide or help the users. Overall Drupal Commerce is a very professional ecommerce extension for Drupal.
- Built on Drupal 7 using best practices.
- Extensive documentation for developers.
- Managed by a company of Drupal experts.