My 2 Cents Top 10 Ways To Protect Your Computer From Getting Infected

krishatg

Content Writer
Virus attack to our computer is a very common thing now days. They enter our computer and infect it in a way that many of the software’s and large amount of data stored into it installed get corrupted. There are many ways by which we can save our computer from these virus attacks. Some of Precautionary measures which should be taken care of are described as follow:

upload_2016-1-30_13-40-15.png
  1. Vaccination before having disease (Antivirus Software): One must have installed some anti-virus program in computer which defends your computer against viruses. Antivirus programs scan virus in your computer at regular interval or whenever your computer connected to any external devices or when you try to download something from net. It will detect the virus if any and will not let it enter to your system. Top antivirus in market are Avast, AVG, Norton etc.
2. Don’t Let Strangers into your house (Don’t download strange e-mails): One should know what he is downloading through attachment in the mails. Most common way to send virus to your computer is through e-mails. So download attachment only from those e-mails which you are already expecting and ignore all other.

3. Double your protection (Firewalls): Using windows firewalls is also an effective way to protect your system from external attacks. It will intimate you whenever suspicious activity attempts to connect to your computer and doesn’t allow it to enter.

4. Increase Your Remembrance (Don’t use same password everywhere): You may have different account over the internet for different web sites, e-mail accounts, bank accounts etc. Don’t use same password and very common passwords for such accounts. Work your brain a little.

5. Back up your Data: One must kept an extra copy of critical data present in the system. Because it is hardware device anything can happened any time so it is good to have one extra copy of critical data. Now days there is also not a problem of space in order to kept data. You can place it on cloud and can access it any time you want.

6. Don’t trust anyone: Never open your accounts on public computers or any other friend’s computer because it is always risky. May be he have installed the software’s like key logger in his computer or may be his computer is already infected. So better use your accounts on your device always.

7. Keep Updated (Update your windows regularly): Regularly updating your windows also kept you away from the viruses attacks in the way that they are already configured with the self-protected program to stay safe from the already discovered viruses.

8. Use a pop-up blocker with your browser: Pop-up blocker also helps to restrict the unsafe web sites to get open. They are small pop-up may contain unsafe codes. It always asks for permission to open the sites which are not safe.
9. Check external devices before using : Always scan external devices before using on to your system because they may contain suspicious codes also. Disable the autorun option also because if it is enable then it will not ask you before opening the device.

10. Knowledge of viruses: If you are using computer you should have knowledge of the different viruses which may attack you system. By doing this you can easily take care that which sites are safely safe , which thing you can download and which not.

Attachments

Last edited:

Alexandoy

I would hate if a virus would infect my computer. My home computer and office computer are for my own use only. That way, I can take precautions since I am choosy in going to websites. And even if I am a habitual visitor of earnings sites, I am careful, meaning I don't just click on the links. Sometimes some spammers would post a link with a misleading caption but that link would lead you to a website that is a scam. Worse, some of those sites contain virus codes that would infect your computer. I'd say just be careful in surfing the net.

patrickkenyi

This is great advice; I only rely on an anti-virus and pop up blocker to protect my computer. Before my installing my current anti-virus software, I tried installing a downloaded version but it seemed that the download came with its own viruses. My laptop went from bad to worse forcing me to completely format. Viruses can be disguised anywhere so you have to make sure you're installing a legitimate anti-virus.

Renren

"Back up your Data: One must kept an extra copy of critical data present in the system. Because it is hardware device anything can happened any time so it is good to have one extra copy of critical data. Now days there is also not a problem of space in order to kept data. You can place it on cloud and can access it any time you want."

This is what I often do. There is no other important thing other than data stored on your computer's hard disk.

Ramakrishnan

These are nice tips we should always remember, because safety of our computer is most important. Virus can attack any time unexpectedly even if we have trust in our antivirus software. So we should be always careful while downloading programs from unknown sources and opening the attachments of certain emails.

patrickkenyi

In addition to having a powerful anti virus software, my number one rule is to stay off shady sites and links, as well as spam messages; I don't even open spam messages if I already know it is spam. Also, as I recently found out the hard way, it is very important to back up your data, especially if you have useful information stored on your computer.

Renren

Another thing that I do, is that I always make sure to set a restore point. When your computer is infected with virus your files and programs might get corrupted. When I encountered such thing, I always restore it to an early date.

networld

That is very true, a restoration point has to be created as soon as possible. I feel restoration point is like a time machine which can take you to a point in the past when there is no issues at all. Equally important is applying your common sense in using Internet. Simple steps like ensuring a padlock sign in a banking site can go a long way in ensuring safety over net.

krishatg

Content Writer
Yes i have also set auto restore points to be taken by computer itself. But i use them only in extreme cases when there is no other way left. As with the restoration many of the useful things also get rollbacked.

Renren

Yes, you are right. If we choose to use a restore point some of the programs that was installed before and some of the files might be lost, that is why we should set a restore point to avoid these things.

jesmin01

sometimes i face many problem,when connected a USB modem my computer take automatic restart,
its give me very pain,,,,,,,how to recover it,have any solution???