Transfer from old laptop to new

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephanie

Yellow Belt
I want to transfer my files (and preferably my software) across from my old laptop, which is starting to fall apart, to a new one - both using Windows XP.

I have found a cable and software which will transfer from XP to Vista, but am not sure if it will do a XP to XP.

Sorry if this is a really dumb question but what do I need?

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
transferring software is VERY difficult as there are system files that will have been copied to your windows directories as well as the actual folder you state at install time. It'd be advisable to simply reinstall on the new system

as for your data there are many options:

you could use a USB / Firewire hard drive to transfer the data or you could transfer it over a network voa a shared drive (As yet I don't know your LAN setup or if you have wireless etc etc). If you don't have networking you could connect via a crossover cat-5 ethernet cable and setup your network so your computers talk.

If you have a spare pc you could take the harddrive out of your old laptop and copy the data to the host system.

If the old laptop has has a cd / dvd burner just burn the data. I hasten to add that you should have had backups of your data ANYWAY especially as it is a laptop. Laptops are easy to drop / break / lose and you would lose all your data as well.

If you need any more info then let us know what you need and we'll help all we can

Peace

gkd_uk

Yellow Belt
Hi Stephanie

I agree with Shadoweater

You will need to install the software again but recommend you use a memory stick or cd to copy your data onto so you can transfer to your new machine.

Thanks

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
You really should have had a backup on some removable media so you could simply copy the backup to your new system and discard the old

I'd suggest a small 10Gb USB/Firewire drive that you copy to every now and again just incase your harddrive fails (and it will at the worst time). If you need more than 10Gb get a bigger drive but just make sure theres room for more as your data grows

If you wanna go OTT. There is a 2Tb NAS at CCL for 288 quid (I think) but that should be enough for anyone :D

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.