Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question Troubles Promoting Forum

Discussion in 'General Forum Management Topics' started by Roxabox, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Roxabox

White Belt

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    Hello,

I used to be a forum owner of a forum with no particular topic. There were categories for just about anything and everything (similar to Reddit). However, it died about a year ago and I took it down. Other than committing to a topic what are some other methods of promoting a forum site? It doesn't need to be a free method but I don't want to pay too much either.

2. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    Hi @Roxabox@Roxabox. Can you tell me what is the name of your forum, so that I may take a look at it? I used to promote my own internet marketing and SEO forum before, but I just think outside of the box of convincing others to join the community. I usually promote it on my forum signature on Digital Point Forums and Warrior Forums before, and I did get decent users everyday until I have no more motivation to do it. I think before promoting your forum that was about to revive, you need to revamp it all. Don't just stick to the old design, implement something new and different that can attract people to come into your forum. By the way, you can advertise on Warrior Forum by creating your banner ad and pay for it. I hope this helps you a bit.

Cheers!

3. amultani

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +8 / -0
    Why have you taken it down? If you had updated with new threads and posts it would have gone up.

4. Roxabox

White Belt

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    Unfortunately my site no longer exists, I took it down about a year ago but I would like to retry it again since I can spare some change to put into as well if needed. It had categories for Computers, Gaming (all platforms), Cooking, Sports, Pets/Animals, Health & Fitness, Technology, Android/Iphone, and a ton of other topics. Basically I was going for a Forum for all forums.

5. saratrunk

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    It was good to see your forum based on certain area so that you can put enough information in a while & then expand it to other areas. When all info will be there in once with no much of content in it, people will surely not like it.

6. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    Do you get writers for you forum, means once you have invested to develop it you must have to pay little to the content writers to generate useful and discuss able topics on your forum.

7. saratrunk

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +5 / -0
    Yes theres a strategy hiring more people to be active on your site, but thats getting obsolete now. better is to find associate partners that can be active, take on responsibility to manage specific areas of their interest.

8. Roxabox

White Belt

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    What kind of websites would you recommend for hiring?

9. briannagodess

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Hi! I would suggest having your friends help you in promoting your site. Make them moderators or admins of your forum, this way you know that you can really trust them. If you have some people whom you trust already in your forum, like those people who post regularly and post great quality content, you can also try making them moderators to help maintain the forum.

You can also hire forum marketers to help you promote the site. If you can, you can do that by yourself by going to social media sites and promoting the forum as much as you can. Always post relevant and new topics on your forum, it's important to let the people know that you are an active and thriving community.

Good luck!

10. dcristo

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    Forums work because like minded people get to interact with each other. You are going to have a much more difficult time trying to develop a Forum for all forums. Focus on a niche, and don't have too many sub-forums when the forum is new, so as not to confuse your visitors. If a new visitor feels overwhelmed by the amount of choices they have, then they're not going to register and become a contributing member.

11. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    You can use various freelancing websites for hiring writers. They will definitely give you the results. Most people are using freelancer.com iwriters.com and even fiverr.com for hiring content writers.

12. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think forum advertising is an effective way to advertise anything including other forums. If your forum is about technology try to join forums that discuss about technology and try to put a link there either in your posts or through signature advertising (need to check the ToS before doing that). The advantange is that we can get targeted audience there.

Moreover, I think your forum lacks focus on any topic. It would have been better if you could concentrate on any topic which you are also comfortable with. Please consider this as my personal opinion.

13. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    It would be good if you a particular topic in your forum with off-topic on it. However, the off-topic section should be moderated or there's limit in posting there. Invite some friends to join there and if possible, make them as moderators too. If it will be successful, then to give them back.

14. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    In fact there is a mix of response about having an off-topic section in a forum. Yes, it will provide an opportunity for the members to become more active in a forum which may improve the traffic. But at the same time some members may find it a comfortable place in a forum and never come out of it. There is a possibility of other sections getting isolated because members are more active in off-topic section.

Some people even use it as an anti-spam method. They believe spammers will choose off-topic section to post their vague materials. But I don't know how effective it could be in controlling spam.

15. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    Maybe setting up a limit there would do. I knew a site which it has off-topic section. What they did is they credit people in that section lower or half what they can earn credits from niche topics. Or maybe, limit the number of post in off-topic section.

16. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Our office forum is almost stagnating but we are trying to save it somehow while waiting for the budget. When we launched it in 2004, we spent for the help we got from the students that started the posting. There were about 4 people with at least 2 personalities in the forum for the kick off. As newbies come in, the dummy accounts are not used until such time that the newbies outnumbered the 4 workers. But we promoted the site in the newspapers and also via email spamming (waheehee).

17. phoenix2015

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Having a specific niche helps because people find it looking for their interests and they stay for the same reason. A community of like-minded people tend to stay together longer. You could also pay for posters on sites like fiverr, but you want to make sure they are interested, in your niche and actually add value. You can also just promote it as you would anything else, getting your link in front of as many eyeballs as possible.

18. Furqan Rashid

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +38 / -0
    Good, Did you payed for getting posts to your forum to the content writers and other exerts regarding the topics you have started on your forum.

19. briannagodess

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    I think that this is what most forums thrive on. For instance, one beauty forum I follow, has been around for about 10 years now and they're still getting strong. Women flock in that forum to chat and communicate with others regarding beauty products. So you see, people with similar interests certainly connect with one another. These people also end up becoming real life friends. That's the beauty of forums really!

20. phoenix2015

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    Exactly, the more focused the niche or topic of the forum, the more of a chance people will feel like a community and stay with the forum long term. I think there is less of a chance for people to bond if there is no real central topic.