UK Business Visas for Entrepreneurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
Someone wanting to come to the UK to start up their own business is welcome, as long as they meet certain criteria.

The criteria for non-EU members is different to that for those in the EU.

Entrepreneur Business Visa

If this visa is granted to you it allows you to start any type of business provided you work full time in the management of the business.

An entrepreneur business visa is often called a 'Business Status Application.' If you are hoping to apply for a business visa under the category of entrepreneur you will need to:

* Invest £200,000 in a new UK business.
* Create full time employment for at least 2 EEA nationals
* Work solely in the business
* Have sufficient funds to accommodate and maintain yourself until the business is profitable.
* Have a controlling interest in the business.
* Take a share of the business's liabilities
* Be implementing a business plan that looks to be thorough and viable

You need a minimum of £200,000 at your disposal to be considered for this type of visa; if, however, you have more than £200,000 the Home Office will be more relaxed with the other requirements and your application will be processed quicker.

The money that you have to build up your business must be your own and not from aspects such as bank loans.

Applicants must show that they are proficient in English by proving one of the following:

* They have passed a test in English equivalent to level C1 of the Council of Europe's Common European Framework for Language Learning (equivalent to a grade C or better at GCSE)
* Come from a country where English is the majority language spoken
* Have taken a degree taught in English (this is verified by using the National Academic Recognition Information Centre data)

Successful proof of one of these criteria will earn the required 10 points for the English language requirement.

Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) Visa Conditions

* A successful applicant is generally given a 2 year visa initially.
* An extension of a further 3 years can be applied for as long as the business is operating, the investment has been made and the 2 jobs have been created.
* Applicants may, after 5 years, apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (Permanent Residency).
* Partners and dependent children are able to join you on this visa and are free to work and go to school.

The following categories of people can take up any lawful employment in the UK and do not need a work permit:

* Nationals of EEA (European Economic Area) countries (the EEA comprises the 25 EU member states - Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom – and also Norway, Liechtenstein, and Iceland)

If you are a national of one of the countries covered by the EC Association Agreement (Bulgaria or Romania), you can gain entry to the UK to start a business without having to fulfil the £200,000 investment requirement or create employment. You will however still need to produce a business plan and have enough funds to cover living expenses until an income can be derived in the UK.

Your application will be made to the British Consulate in the country of your usual residence. Your application should be accompanied by the following:

* Passports
* Visa fee
* 2 passport photos for each applicant
* Business plan which should include:
* Evidence of the funds to be invested
* The object of the business
* A detailed description of employment created.
* A projected balance sheet, including:
* The financial outlay
* Any loan to the company
* Assets
* Stock
* Profit and loss projection

You can also apply for your spouse and children to join you in the UK if you wish. If permission is granted to them they will be allowed access to education, healthcare and lawful employment in the UK.

Visiting Students

You can take part-time or holiday work, but you must not:

*Work for more than 20 hours a week during term time unless your placement is part of your studies, has been agreed with your educational institution and leads to a degree or qualification awarded by a nationally recognised examining body
*Do business, be self-employed or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer, or
*Work full-time in a permanent job.

SenseiDesign

Yellow Belt
if you are from a country within the eu you don't need anykind of visa for business trips to the uk if I remember rightly.

that'S what I like about the Eu

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
if you are from a country within the eu you don't need anykind of visa for business trips to the uk if I remember rightly.

that'S what I like about the Eu
You are right, you don't need any visas etc to start a business in any EU country if you are an EU national. You just need to tackle the local bureaucracy, I heard its pretty bad in Germany.

Its not so bad in Romania, I have a business in Romania, its pretty horrible in Poland, I once tried to set up a business in Poland, I gave up eventually, they want you to translate and unbelievable amount of document etc etc.

SenseiDesign

Yellow Belt
lol thats cool :D what kind of business do you own in Romania? I guess they have pretty cheap taxes don'T they?

germany is really bad to start a business :( because of the bureaucracy and because of the high taxes but I guess i will have to register a business pretty soon^^

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Well,
I dabble into buying/selling property in Romania (http://www.transylvaniaventures.co.uk) I still have two properties left there but I don't think I will be selling them soon :(. One I sell the remaining properties I will be packing up the business.

Things were cheap there before they join EU, now prices there are crazy :(

lol thats cool :D what kind of business do you own in Romania? I guess they have pretty cheap taxes don'T they?

germany is really bad to start a business :( because of the bureaucracy and because of the high taxes but I guess i will have to register a business pretty soon^^

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
When I went there it was still under communist rule. I imagine it's improved in some ways now, but I couldn't live there.

Status
Not open for further replies.