Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

My 2 Cents Url Shortening

Discussion in 'General SEO Topics' started by sunshine, Mar 10, 2016.

1. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    URL shortening is a good technique on the World Wide Web that keeps your web URL tiny and sweet and easily shareable in articles, social media, forum threads, conversations etc. In this technique a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) should be changed considerably shorter in size and still direct to the original web page.
    This could be used to bypass firewalls or to hide affiliate links that obstruct websites according to URLs.
    For e.g. here are few URL shortening Sites are;
    Google URL Shortener
    AdFly - The URL shortener service that pays you! Earn money for every visitor to your links.
    Short Links and Earn Money - Shorten, Share and Earn Money
    Ally | Earn money by sharing short links ::
    tr.im - url shortener
    URL Shortener - The HEC Project (Startup Company)

2. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    I hate using url shortner sites as they give bunch of Popups, banners that needs to load on the visitor browser and we will loss those valuable visitors. It's better to make a url shortner site using open source script rather than using these url shortner sites,

3. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    I personally do not like the url shortening nor prefer to use but it is a good trick to make the url short and simple. It happen to me i received many promotional SMS and mails that uses url shortening, a good practice because asking someone to click a lengthy link may get them disappear from your promotions right away.

@sunshine@sunshine: Thank you very much for taking this topic here in to discuss here on WMS.

4. VIVEK KUMAR

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    URL shortening is the very useful application for company who sends a specific and any type of url to its customer . It is very relevant to use by the mobile user because it is very short in length as compare to its original.
    Example -
    snapdeal.com/product/nobel-22cv22v01-itech-series-55/630254381383?utm_source=aff_prog&utm_campaign=afts&offer_id=17&aff_id=13521&aff_sub=electronics&aff_sub2=2016030143006#rr
    Or

bit.ly/1SFhTkg

Both are same.

5. Prasoon Arora

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    I have experienced visiting my clients docs which have long url and are too hard to remember. I have used tinyurl.com and even preferred my friends to use tinyurl.com to shorten their url and even can make the link to their comfort.

For example for any xyz long link. I will go to tinyurl.com and will put my link in a text tab and click on make tiny url and everything is done.

6. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    URL shortener makes it easier for people to share links on the social networking site as many such as Twitter has limit on the number of characters. Using a URL shortener will not produce any negative impact on the SEO of your site according to Matt Cutts. The shortened URL of your website will be treated as a 301 redirect.