Website Directories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Whatever happened the the 'ole timey directories where you went to place your website in? I was investigating a few directories to place WS in and noticed that almost every one I went to asked for a link back page. What has happened to the good ole' days when you could go to a directory, submit your website, and not have to do any kind of link in return?

I guess in today's net of money they want that link back to improve that traffic a little more. I've even gone as far as placing their links in a thread and I've either not received any sort of response, or I recieved a response that said that was not adequate. It's getting pretty ridiculous IMHO.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
it's all part of bowing to the search engine gods, CT. I don't think there are any directories that don't require something anymore.

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
I received a "bill" in the mail a week ago saying I owed $34 for having my site entered into search engines.... But I read further and they said it wasnt a bill... I was like, "whew" and tore it up and threw it away.  I cant believe they are sending me that crap lol I dont care if my site gets submitted to anything more than google because thats the #1 search engine used in my eyes and I am in there.

CrazyTech

Yellow Belt
Well I can understand a SEO situation even though it's really not that hard to get good listings...heck I can do it.

However, what happened to the good old days when you could get things free. I mean I don't want to have a page with a hundred links on it like I've seen before just so I can get listed in directories. I don't mind dropping the occasional link to a good website, but I hate being expected to do so to get listed.

Moondancer

Yellow Belt
the latest craze is buying links on high PR sites.. do a search for link auctions and you'll see what I mean... nothing is free anymore.

SoaringUSAEagle

Yellow Belt
[quote author=Moondancer link=topic=44.msg187#msg187 date=1087341356]
nothing is free anymore.
[/quote]

That's the 100% truth right there -- except for the air we breathe (for the most part)

F

favouritelink

[quote author=CrazyTech link=topic=44.msg129#msg129 date=1086407078]
Whatever happened the the 'ole timey directories where you went to place your website in? I was investigating a few directories to place WS in and noticed that almost every one I went to asked for a link back page. What has happened to the good ole' days when you could go to a directory, submit your website, and not have to do any kind of link in return?

I guess in today's net of money they want that link back to improve that traffic a little more. I've even gone as far as placing their links in a thread and I've either not received any sort of response, or I recieved a response that said that was not adequate. It's getting pretty ridiculous IMHO.
[/quote]

Well I am the owner of directorie website where you can add for free and its up to you if you will link back (you don't need to).
And it's for FREE to add your website URL in my database.

The link to add website URL is favouritelink.com/link_submit.php

H

hey

I agree i hate giving link backs , now i mostly just buy directory links with cash i prefer that more than giving links back.  :eek:

D

discountdomains

Free directories

I have a few traditional ones!

allthebizz.com
findhound.com
smallerbizz.com

Clare

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.