Websites to get age rating system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamPlayer

Yellow Belt
Movie-style age ratings could be heading to websites, although how this will actually work in practice isn't clear.

Bit it is certainly on the UK government's agenda, with Culture Secretary Andy Burnham claiming it was looking at a number of possible safeguards to guarantee 'child-friendly web access' - without giving any real detail or indeed, stating if this is going to be pushed through in the near future. And if you're a US reader laughing at this, you might like to know that the UK plans to negotiate with the US in order to create some international rules for all English language websites.

Blocking free speech? Not according to Mr Burnham: "It's not about banning or stopping people having that freedom of expression...it's simply about clearer signposting, more information, so people know where they're working." However. he did also mention that the government is also looking at "cheap low-cost legal recourse" for online defamation cases, which just might make a lot of website owners and bloggers think twice before typing.

His views are broadly supported by child protection charities, but are likely to receive a more guarded response from ISPs and hosting companies, which could well be asked to behave as policemen for any new ratings system. We expect this to run and run in 2009.

t3.com

Luq

Yellow Belt
It is a good idea, I suppose it and I am looking forward for it in the coming year. It will go a long way to safeguard child friendly web access.

Zoli

Yellow Belt
I would be very glad if this would be introduced in Hungary as well. Let me share a short story with you.
Some weeks ago at my forum a guy called our attention to the result of the searching query of the 'animal' at google.hu. The result was shocking, it was very pervert adult related website and the most shocking thing was that the site was authority with sitelinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.