What are the benefits of using Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
Well, first of all I'll rate Linux for its security. You can't beat doing anything on Linux with Windows.. Linux is great for running web servers, and surfing the internet.

Linux can run a lot of Windows apps now using bridges, and Linux is overall a great FREE operating system to work with.

mikeinlincs

Yellow Belt
tell me more please !

xtrafile said:
Well, first of all I'll rate Linux for its security. You can't beat doing anything on Linux with Windows.. Linux is great for running web servers, and surfing the internet.

Linux can run a lot of Windows apps now using bridges, and Linux is overall a great FREE operating system to work with.
Does anyone know how to get Linux to replace the windows OS ? ie remove windows OS completely and just have Linux.

Mike :)

xtrafile

Yellow Belt
You'll probably have to do a fresh reinstall, since you cannot import apps and such into Linux (you know, converter, etc....)

If you want, backup your files on a new partition and then install Linux on your other partition.

Then, backup your files to Linux and delete that temporary partition.

You could try using the Wine app for linux to run some Windows programs, although not everything works on Linux like for Windows.

Hope that helps :)

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
try before you buy

If you want o have a look at linux (it'll be slow though). Try downloading and burning Knoppix or KUbuntu. If you wanna install KUbuntu, do what xtrafile says and back up your data

Hope this helps

Peace

N

nlmisra

Hey.
Or u can also order a fre shipment of Unbuntu live cd. From this itself u can do a full installation or just run the distro from the CD. IF u want to comletely remove windows I would suggest that make a partition in Windows for your Linux OS, mount the windows partition in Linux, use linux to back up all your data on an external or something and then just format that windows partition from linux.

J

jimmy12

Hello Friends......

1.Low cost:

2.Stability

3.Performance

Network friendliness

Flexibility

Thanks

I was always a Windows man, from the age of 6 and up until the start of last year i had remained one. Scared of moving to a completely new OS that was alien to me. Now i am running the latest Ubuntu and can't stand the though of going back. There aren't millions of bugs, it didn't cost me anything, it comes with everything you will ever need online, for FREE and its just all round great. Windows is ancient and is a way of the past!

Status
Not open for further replies.