Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question What could be the best topic to start a forum?

Discussion in 'Business Ideas and Startups' started by networld, Dec 14, 2015.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I am often confused with the selection of the best topic to start a forum. Owning and managing a forum has always been my dream. I know it is not an easy job to manage a forum and keep it running for long. However, I think the first step towards starting a forum is to decide the nature of forum. What kind of topics is going to be discussed in the forum?

I heard that technology is a better option. People are very interested to keep themselves updated of new technology developments and it becomes more relevant in today's smartphone era. They also use such forum as a trouble shooting guide.

What according to you is the best topic to start a forum?

2. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    These days, no matter what topic you choose you'll find that there's already a forum out there that's got it covered. That shouldn't put you off, you could instead see it as a motivation to try and do things better than they are.

As far as the topic itself goes, the more mainstream you go for, the more competition you'll have. music, movies, video games and sport for example are always popular topics, but there's already countless sites already around.

Whatever topic you decide on though, make sure it's something your interested in, and your not just doing it for the chance to make money.

3. Webmasterserve

Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +77 / -0
    A forum on almost any topic can survive well and get you a decent income but you will be competing with all established forums and social sites in your niche. I suggest selecting a niche in which you are personally interested and have knowledge about. If you like Android phones, you can have a forum dedicated to Android related topics and be successful.

One thing to remember is that running a forum is a long term thing unlike a blog or website. Since it is user driven, for every good user you will have to deal with 100 spammers who will post junk in your forums which makes it even harder to manage and render it useless to genuine users due to the spam noise ratio compared to real content. Plus attracting new users is a challenge, especially with the advent of social media, forums are not the only platform where users can engage with other people like it used to be several years earlier.

Your forum does not have to be for a unique niche but it does have to be unique in itself, offering something more than what other forums offer. You need patience and a lot of dedicated work for a long period of time to get it off the ground and continuous maintenance to keep it going.

Good luck with your plans.

4. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    Any topic in which best knowledge and good talent you have.you to begin with forum.
    All participants need quality stuff and best solution to their problems and issues questioned in posts & threads.
    Also @Solmak point out in a good manner some zig zag of the forum management and running task.

5. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    That really depends on your interest. For me, working on a topic of which you know nothing about or have zero interest can never be a long term bet. Gradually, you'll lose interest and see the forum die. Unless you have a solid and active user base, it is imperative that the owner actively participates in the development of the forum. And as @Solmak@Solmak rightly mentioned, if you are not active of your forums, or it is not well moderated, spammers will eat your forum out.

6. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Thanks a lot to all members who have contributed to this thread. In short, the key takeaways for me are ;

- You should be knowledgeable of the topic you choose
    - Always keep in mind that there will be stiff competition in the field
    - A forum is a very long project, so patience is the key
    - You should be instrumental in controlling spam
    - Attracting new users is a challenge in the current scenario
    - Ensure quality content
    - Active participation of Admin is a must for a successful forum

Any additions are welcome.

7. Anuj Dhawan

White Belt

Ratings:
    +1 / -0
    Persistence is the key. It's a tough game as you've said. Also I don't believe that there can be a single topic which can make the Forum over night success. You'll have to have good discussion nearly on all topics in the start, at least. And that's why it requires you to be knowledgeable in your niche. But if you are a business owner, you can get knowledgeable people in the field to do the business for you as well.

8. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    The niche is very important to have great forum and have to beat the competition of other forums. If you really wants to build successful forum, then you have to keep the money as per requirement.
    You must have knowledge in answering to members what they ask in forums or your members should have such knowledge.
    Never rely on members that are going to help other members as you should consider on yourself.
    There is a lot of difference between forums and blogs, so its toughest point to maintain a forum.

You have said that you are opening a technology forum, so you need to pay members some technology items like software, mobile phones, cash etc so they would be active in your forum.

Once the forum goes popular it will never fall down remember it.

9. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I think that is a good point to put some serious thoughts. The main objective of an upcoming forum should tbe o attract as many members as possible. A forum with varied subjects will definitely attract more members. But at the same time, we cannot ignore the important role the Admin has to play for success of the forum. He should be instrumental in managing spam and it is good to be active in discussions. His visible presence itself bring about major improvements as spammers find it difficult to survive there.

I have seen in some forums there is a separate section for general chat and this is the place for anything that does not fit anywhere else. Some people say it is an effort to control spam. But I don't know how effective it is.

10. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    Controversial topics can encourage forum members to take part in joining the discussion. Controversial topics are debate topics where people will be motivated to attack the subject with their own views such as right winged politics and moral stuff.

11. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    IN order to make your forum successful, you need members and visitors. If you have appropriate topic on your forum, your forum will become successful. In my observation, make money online and home remedies can be good topic for a forum because many people are interested on making money and concerned about health issues.

12. butterfly

White Belt

Ratings:
    +3 / -0
    I was thinking the same thing about trying to come up with a forum topic that people can get passionate about debating. Politics would be the first thing to come to mind, but would making money from a forum about politics be as lucrative as a forum about tech gadgets that people would be possibly buy? Any thoughts on this from anyone?

13. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    As I already said, my vote goes for technology or tech gadgets. Technology is changing at the speed of thought. With advent of smartphones, tablets and touchscreen revolution, people are really crazy to know what is happening in gadget field. I think the scope a technology forum is really wide. A technology forum is in fact my dream project. A technology forum could be an excellent troubleshooting platform too.

But I don't think politics alone could be a good option to try. Try to include other sections of common social issues like poverty, child labor and unemployment also into it. you can definitely find more people who will be interest to debate on such issues. It is really good that we at least put some thoughts on these burning concerns.

14. dcristo

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    Emerging markets. If you become the first authority in your niche, you will have a huge advantage over competitors.

15. Renren

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +12 / -0
    I think it is not the topic, but it is how you will make the forum be known that there is a forum like that. There are a lot of generic topics which people are always going to say something about that topic. Whenever you see a forum you can always see a similarity about the topic discussed that they are talking about or discussing. But for me the best topic that would attract people are the topic which adult people are always looking into.

16. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    That is quite true. The biggest challenge is to make your forum visible to general public. Internet is flooded with thousands of forums and we should do something outstanding to attract members. I also feel that whatever topic we choose we should have at least the basic knowledge about that.

There are numerous ways to market your forums. There are a number of paid as well as free methods to increase its visibility. I have seen forum owners running various contests to keep the members engaged in forum discussion which is a nice strategy I guess.

17. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Our office website is about the film industry. After a year of existence, we decided to open a forum inside it. The very first topics that we posted in the forum (to gain interest from our readers) are all about celebrities particularly the movie stars who were popular at the time. And we noticed that forum members are more interested in intriguing issues (since most of them are movie fans who read tabloid columns that are always intriguing). Just food for thought.

18. jowjow

White Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    I think to be practical one of the best topic for a forum is Money Making schemes. Introducing the public how they can earn money online or even offline. Advertise the forums in multiple social media pages who are into money making. Sharing of ideas, experience, websites, successful and even failure experiences.

19. rayone

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +23 / -0
    You have already started a good topic mate but I have yet to start one. In fact, I have been thinking to start one but having the same problem. The question is what will bring few posters to my thread post, but as the rule says we should do it, I will start couple of threads soon.

20. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    In my opinion, forum should never cover broad aspects. It should rather focus on a certain niche. For example business and investment is a broad topic, however, webhosting business is a niche. Therefore, it is advisable to focus on a certain niche.