Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question What is google wallet?

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by Zirkon Kalti, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    What is Google Wallet? What are its benefits and disadvantages? Is it good for people who have many debit/credit cards? Do you have any issues using it? Do you reload it with funds before buying something?

2. sunshine

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +128 / -0
    Google Wallet is also a reliable way of receiving, sending and pay money online, sometimes with just a tap.
    Yes it support debit/credit cards.
    But almost it is currently used in the United States and don't support lot of countries. That is why most of the international bloggers/businessmen and individuals prefer other payment transfer companies.

3. Zak

Zak
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +29 / -0
    I've used Google Wallet a few time in the past. It is basically something like Authorize .net or similar payment gateways acting like a credit card processor. It is good for businesses but not widely used like PayPal worldwide. You can pretty much store your credit card information in your google account and easily pay using Google Wallet without having to enter your credit card details each time.

If you are a small site selling low cost items or digital goods, PayPal is still the best payment processor available followed by Skrill and many others.

4. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Google wallet is Google's attempt on a an online transactions processor but up to now I think it seems to have had limited appeal.

PayPal is still the one that people trust the most and while Google is a massive company with a lot of trust, people still seem reluctant to use Google wallet as a way to transfer funds between online accounts.

5. MyDigitalpoint

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    First time I heard from Google Wallet was about ten years ago, and was limited to buying stuff form a shopping area Google had set, or something like that.

I can't remember well. However what I can remember with accuracy is that people began to complain because of AdSense due to the lengthy time it was taken to receive those payments by check sent via snail mail.

Obvious suggestion and request was getting Google delivering payments via PayPal, but this company was its direct competitor; they wouldn't put their business in their hands; Google Wallet was then the response to PayPal, but it was never used to pay AdSense nor is up to date.

It's also well known that when Google cannot buy something, they develop their own "clone" many times with poor success.

They tried to buy Twitter once, and not being able to get it, the had to create Google Buzz, which failed miserably and was retired at some point of the road, same as Google Answers (clone of Yahoo Answers) and many other G-versions to whatever they cannot buy.

The last of their failed attempts to own something was trying to acquire Facebook; not being able to get it, they developed Google Plus (G+) which is equally unlucky, but they pretend to sell as successful for a sole fact; they enforce user of YouTube, Gmail and other services to use, or simply fool users telling them this is an "upgrade" to their actual G-services.

Back to Google Wallet, I know it is being used as payment processor, but looks like limited to transactions withing the USA.

6. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Your right when you say that Google tend to try and develop their own versions of sites that they aren't able to buy, and to be honest I can't really think of one that AS worked.

For such a big company, you'd have thought that they'd be able to develop these areas with great success but sadly for them that's not the case.

7. MyDigitalpoint

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +17 / -0
    I believe that problem with Google is the same as with other companies; they want to be "Jack of all trades", which makes them fail miserably because no matter how many skilled people they could hire. Human and artificial intelligence must have a limit or point of incompatibility that makes impossible to master all those trades at a time.

On the early days, I used to see Google as a power-hungry company seeking to establish a monopoly, but with the pass of the time I realized of something new to me; companies are not longer pursuing monopolies but oligopolies, which again translate to wannabe "Jack of all trades".

This is really sad from the approach of an end-user that find his/her choice options limited to a same company producing products under different brands, but all of them belong to themselves and have at some point similar production guidelines that result in poor or mediocre quality products that are presented to consumers as high quality thanks to very well crafted marketing campaigns.

Similarly, Google want to do and own so many things, that many times things go out of their control, or produce low quality or questionable services that eventually had to be shut down, or maintained alive under a fake aura of success like Google+ and Google Wallet itself.

8. Cleveland Williams

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    Google Wallet is an amazing tool! Google created this with the customers in mind, who do not have to pay anything to use it. I currently use Google Wallet to make safe, secure payments to people online for their services. I have not used the feature to upload more than one debit card, because I have no reason to do so currently. I was introduced to GW by someone who was frustrated with the fees associated with Pay Pal. The luxury of GW is that there are no transaction fees.

9. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    I have to agree, and while I like the concept behind Google wallet, I don't think it does enough differently than other sites so people won't change from what they are currently using.

As for Google spreading themselves across to many projects, I do now think it might be time for them to maybe just start concentrating on the main ones and kill off the other projects that aren't working.

10. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I haven't used Google Wallet till now as it is not open for our country. I think it is only open for US residents now. As per my understanding it is something like PayPal. But I am really concerned about its security if they use the same username and password as in the case of other google services. In that case, it should have at least an OTP (One Time Password) option. I am sure they will expand the services to other countries as well.

11. djweb

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    Google wallet is the middle man. An online wallet wannabe that hasn't taken off as well as google would have liked. You can load up your wallet or simply pay using your card via the wallet.

12. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    It's true that Google wallett hasn't taken off as well as Google would have liked, but at the same time I think Google maybe expected too much of it, like Google usually do with their 'ideas'.

Instead of creating unique ideas, they tend to make their own versions if something that's already established, so in that sense it's bound to take longer to become successful, as they have to try and convince people to switch from the service they're already using.

13. Alexandoy

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +18 / -0
    Some years ago, befor that Google Wallet, there was an item in a local newspaper that hinted Google's interest in Paypal. At the time, I didn't know what Paypal is all about. And with the emergence of Google Wallet, it is safe to surmise that there might have been an intention to purchase Paypal but did not materialize. When Google bought Youtube in 2006, people were wondering whey Google, with its money, did not just open its own video repository. But now we see that youtube is way up high over its competitors.

As things are going now, I don't think Google Wallet will be near Paypal in terms of users.

14. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    I think the only way that Google wallet will get the amount of users that PayPal has, will be if Google do what they did with their Google+ service and actually make people sign up to it when they open a google account.

Again though, just because they have signed up doesn't necessarily mean that person will then go on to use it.

15. dcristo

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +37 / -0
    I've heard about it but never used it. I don't think it's available to Australians.

Exactly, Google+ is full of internet marketers and no one else. It's an epic fail when compared to how successful Facebook is.

16. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Google have struggled recently with a lot of their innovative ideas, but you've got to give them full credit for not giving up.

A lot of companies would have ditched Google+ and Google wallet a long time ago with the amount of popularity or should I say lack of it they've achieved up to now.

17. masterbusiness

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +32 / -0
    I have not used Google Wallet but I think that it is convenient since one can do transactions with the use of an Android device. It can also be easily linked to a debit card or bank account.

18. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    Google has a huge market reach. It sells domains, apps, advertising etc. It order to make transaction easy, Google launched Google wallet,which is similar to paypal in a sense that if can be funded by your debit/credit card, and you can receive or send money via Google wallet. Sadly, it does not have great appeal because it supports limited countries.

19. RADHESHYAM GUPTA

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +20 / -0
    Google Wallet is an Online payment service which is develop by google. It is also in mobile app just like Android, iOS.
    It's provide a Google Wallet Card with GPS in USA. But supported all country Debit and Credit card.
    And also provide gift card for user who are 13 or above 13 years old.

20. Prasoon Arora

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    Google Wallet is a new Google app that allows people to pay for things through their phones, rather than through a credit card or cash. Advantages and disadvantages of the application are listed below. Please comment based on your experience with Google Wallet.

Advantages of Google Wallet
    • Faster to pay for things
    • Very secure
    • Eliminates the need for some to carry around a wallet
    • Easy to use
    • Free
    Disadvantages of Google Wallet
    • Having virtual money source may encourage people to spend more than they have
    • One would have to take his or her phone out more often to pay for things
    • People are more likely to glance over and steal your pin number
    • It's not usable at every single store
    • It doesn't work with some credit cards