Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Help Me/Question What Is The Advantage Of Using External Style Sheet Over Internal Style Sheet?

Discussion in 'CSS and CSS3 Coding Discussions' started by steve taylor, Feb 18, 2016.

1. steve taylor

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    I develop a website in HTML and for styling purpose I use inline stylesheet. Now I plan to used external style sheet for my website. How can I achieve it, Is external style sheet is more effective to manage our web pages as compare to internal style sheet. How much effort required to change internal style sheet to external style sheet.

2. djweb

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +14 / -0
    I would say there is little effort required. It is advisable to use external style sheets when you have a large project. However, if you have just a single page website, like a landing page or something, it wouldn't make sense to add external style sheet.

Reusability: External style sheets are used when you have to implement the same style across multiple web pages. If you were to write the same piece of code over and over again it would take you a long time. Instead, you can simply create one sheet, include it in all or many of your web pages (as required) and focus on writing actual code.

Maintenance: External style sheets are also useful when it comes to carrying out maintenance work. Say, you decide to overhaul your website's design. Wouldn't it be easy if you could just open up a single file and change style elements using that file instead of editing code on each page, possible risking breaking your code somewhere?

This is why external style sheets make sense.

3. SirJoe

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +6 / -0
    It's not that difficult, all you have to do is link the style sheet to your HTML document and then copy all your CSS code into it. It won't take that long but you will see, you will gain by doing this.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="*.*.css">

This is the code that you have to use.

4. karthikaqpt

karthikaqpt New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    Inline CSS some of the disadvantages of which includes:
    Overriding
    Inline styles must be applied to every element you want them on.
    It’s impossible to style pseudo-elements and classes with inline styles.

There are many advantages for using external CSS and some of are:
    Reduced file-size
    Less load time
    Full Control of page structure

5. RADHESHYAM GUPTA

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +20 / -0
    If you use external style sheet, It is better than inline or internal style sheet.
    You can design multiple page by a single style sheet. you can also change your entire website style.
    a external style sheet can be reduced your file size
    But it has some dis advantage extra download is required for your website.