• Others

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Its amazing the number of forum software on the market this days. When I started my first forum there was just PHPBB, VBulletin, invision, SMF.

Now there are an awful lot more. I have used phpBB but vBulletin is definitely my favorite.

What is your favorite forum software and why?

TVDinner

Yellow Belt
I have used phpbb, vb, wowbb and wowultra. my favorite is wowultra. VB and phpbb are both excellent and I have no complaints at all about them, I just have had great success with wowultra and find it easy to customize and adjust however I want to.

D

dds_sdd

My favorite is vbulletin, because it has a great number of useful features like: perfect general, excellent general forum, unique user and admin control panel features.

TVDinner

Yellow Belt
I think cost is also a factor in which software people choose. some people just can not afford $130 for VB or $99 or wowUltra or others. You can get phpb for free, but limited assistance.
BUT in general you get what you pay for.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I hope I will not come across as arrogant but I don't think anyone who cannot afford $99 for a software want to start a forum.

I think cost is also a factor in which software people choose. some people just can not afford $130 for VB or $99 or wowUltra or others. You can get phpb for free, but limited assistance.
BUT in general you get what you pay for.

TVDinner

Yellow Belt
well lots and lots (tens of millions) of people use phpbb because it is free. so some people must have cost concerns.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
I suppose its good for students and the likes. I started building forum using phpBB as well but the grief I suffered when my forum became popular from spammers etc was immense, ever since I never used phpBB any more.

TVDinner

Yellow Belt
I recently used the new phpbb3 and it is really a HUGE upgrade, both in features and security. I thought it was on par with the other paid softwares to be honest.

Webmasterserve

Staff member
Administrator
Pleased to hear that. I did try the same release on a site but it got hacked a few weeks later, killed my hope of every trying phpBB again.

But I know people who run huge forums with phpBB, they have a lot of time though, if you have lots of time to spend patching thing sup yourself its great.

I love that reassuring email I get from vBulletin when any problem is discovered and where to download the patch :)

I recently used the new phpbb3 and it is really a HUGE upgrade, both in features and security. I thought it was on par with the other paid softwares to be honest.

TVDinner

Yellow Belt
I agree about that. Most of the huge sites using phpbb have the money coming in to address and custom code any potential security issues.

Zoli

Yellow Belt
I prefer vBulletin, mostly because of its excellent reputation and it was important for me that i needed to pay for it. Maybe it sound silly, but don't like free things. Luckily I did not have enough money for the license when started an own forum so I a launched the forum project with a cool seo guy jointly.

ljastangs21

Yellow Belt
I said Phpbb because its easy to use however i do know that vB is the better software. I guess ill have to learn how to use it :/

bhushna

Yellow Belt
100% sure to this answer is vBulletin as they are currently the best forum scripters w8ing for any other script to match this one. As this is a very costly script for the new webmaster out here.

aathuls

Yellow Belt
vBulletin is one of the best forum softwares around and it's best for many different reasons.It's very easy to use and very help to efficient to create a forum.Actively based, vbulletin is also a great developed software.

jaibin

Yellow Belt
My favorite forum software is VBulletin. It is professional, affordable, very fast software. Its features include fast and efficient database back end, template driven interface, powerful search engine, language system, custom user fields etc.

--------------------------
Jaibin

Status
Not open for further replies.