What's the purpose of a link directory to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc

Yellow Belt
As a user and/or webmaster, what's the main purpose of a link directory to you?

Is it one of your resources for linking to your websites, do you use it to find new/interesting websites or do you not care about 'em at all.
Have you ever used a link directory to search for a website that you were seeking information at? (or do you prefer to run a custom search on Google?)

Alex

Yellow Belt
If we're talking about classic everyday directories, absolutely none. Completely outdated and probably 100% useless in terms of actual ranking gains. The ones that might help would have to be business.com, yahoo's directory or websites of such authority.

Everything else, I would say pass on and relax.

Now, if someone is simply looking to increase the number of raw linking in domains, then I can understand why submitting to a couple of thousands of them might make sense, but other than that I can't really see a good reason except for maybe common misconceptions and disbeliefs.

Alex

Yellow Belt
Also, from my strict "user" perspective, none as well. I can't seem to remember using web directories even though I've been online for a long time now.

khossa

White Belt
What's the purpose of a link directory?

i may use it to linked my websites but most of the time i use it to find interesting website as far as webmaster sub domains are concerned because i think that some important directories enables you to get access to great number of websites dealing with the same themes

J

jayjay54321

Hi, I've subscribed to lots of online business directories but my website is falling rather then climbing :-( in the google rankings

Jay 1st for plant hire Leeds

slim

White Belt
I only ever use niche and local directories for both serching and marketing SEO.
Don't under estimate local and niche directories.

Status
Not open for further replies.