Where do I start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

united

Yellow Belt
I'm going to give Linux Ubunto a shot but don't want to ruin my current XP setup. Any tips on how I should start?

Should I have another PC setup?

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
ok guys,

Get a copy of KUbuntu and run it off the CD. If you like it the install option is there but if you run it off the CD it will run slowly.

Not all hardware is fully supported as yet (Broadcom wifi is a pain but can be made to work) but most just floats in and installs.

Either that or get knoppix which is also pretty sweet

If you have a spare hard drive, put it into your pc unpartitioned and unformatted and Ubuntu / KUbuntu will use that and set you up a dual boot situation

Sorry I took so long (takes of Linux cape)

Peace

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Just so you know. NVidia VGA cards are very supported in Linux and will give full 3D accelleration. ATi cards are a bit more finikity but AMD are pushing ATi to distribute drivers to the GNU community

Peace

seo

White Belt
Thanks

Some good info there

Shadoweater, are you a convert to Linux or have you always used Linux?

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
Linuux

Ive used Linux since Rehat 6.0 and Mandrake 9.0. A lot of people are moving over to Linux via Ubuntu due to its simple use but to me I use it cos it just works and I just wanna get on with using my rig without worrying about virus' and spyware

Hardy Heron should be released very soon and will have more ease of configuration for the x server (mouse keyboard display etc) so hopefully more people will come onboard

shadoweater

Yellow Belt
anytime man

Hit me up if you get stuck with linux.

if you wanna and havent, ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu run live off the cd as do knoppix and damnsmall linux and puppy linux

If you like them you can install to hard drive. Just watch what yu are doing with installs as you may damage your files but if you are steady and know vaguely whats going on you can install.

Another way would be to install Virtual Box and run it virtually. Its up to you

Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.