Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Solved/Closed Where Do You Get Your Image From For Your Online Articles?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography Forum' started by networld, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    As we know copyright violation is a serious crime and land you up in trouble which may lead to serious consequences. It is also a well known fact that an article without proper image does not have any life. It is rightly said that a picture speaks thousand words. As we are not supposed to take copyrighted materials from net, what is your source for images?

I use Pixabay which is a free source for excellent images. They have a nice collection of various categories. Do you know any substitute for Pixabay images?

2. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Bigfoto, Flickr there are more but I can't remember their names. You could search for more, I've found that when using an image to promote a particular thing putting the proper citations helps also.

3. Aires

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    You may also use Google to search images that are free.
    Google image.

4. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Copyright infringement is a massive issue these days and while there does appear to be a lot of images you can use online, you'll find that more and more are being copyrighted by the original owners.

Google search can still come up with a lot that aren't copyrighted, but it's always best to double check just in case, because some if the punishment's handed out for illegal uses if images are quite severe.

5. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    That is very true. If you do not take caution you could land up in trouble as this is considered as a serious infringement. It is better to double check before using images from sources you are not sure about. One of my friends has a very bad experience in this.

I think Pixabay got nice collections that suit different topics. In article writing sites like Hubpages you are supposed to give the source link details while using an image in your article. I think that is a good way of ensuring adherence to law.

6. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Most pictures that are now on the internet are free to use in promoting of the actual image. And the owners of images tend to watermark their pictures now, to show ownership and those watermarked pictures are allowed to be used. News and tabloid website do not return permission for most of the pictures they use, all they do is put the proper citations, so really when you want to use a picture do a bit of research on it in order to know the 5 W's and H of the picture.

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

7. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    A lot of sites are constantly looking for unique content and while there are so many images that are copyrighted, that of course only leaves so many that aren't, that's why you tend to get the same images cropping up all the time.

That can be an issue for a lot of sites and that's why they are willing to take the risk and use an image, hoping to get away with it. There are that many sites around now, I'd say that 8/10 they will, but it only takes getting caught once and it can ruin the site owner altogether.

8. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    Fair use is in place for the greater good, to allow copyrighted works to be used without permission for the benefit of the public. Thank God for Fair Usage Doctrine.

9. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    Its better not to use photo from Flickr or Pinterest or any other source for your website even if it says that they are giving you permission to do so. This is because many users can upload the same photos and say the photos are theirs when it isn't. This will give the photographer a chance to file a lawsuit and get some money from you. It is best to buy the photo from royalty free sites with commercial license to use on your site. Alternatively, you can take the photo yourself and put your own watermark on it.

10. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    That's right, Flickr, under the Commons tab under Licensing, you're free to use those, and that's what I utilize for uploading WordPress imagery for clients.

11. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    While we're on the subject, as anybody on here actually been challenged for using a copyrighted image on their site, and if so, what was the outcome?

It's just while I know that people do get caught, I just don't happen to know anybody personally that as.

12. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    I also haven't met anyone who has gotten caught and all my friends and I use pictures but put in where we got it from, for example you're reviewing a product but want a good picture so you go to the product's site and use the image (this is fair usage) meaning you're allowed to use it without permission as long as you're not taking claim to it. That's an example

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

13. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    If I understand the law correctly, it best serves the original producer or owner of a copyrighted image or piece of writing to first inform/request the removal of said item before pursuing legal ramifications.

Through my legal studies to date, we have unfortunately, not really explored this area in pertaining to U.S. Law. It sounds like something more along the lines of a civil, small claims court. Unless you're going to try to do something outrageously foolish like turn the Apple logo upside down and start remaking all of their products calling it the "IPear" or something along those lines, you know? Common sense goes a long way, and litigation is always a lengthy process.

Besides, unless it was a private, unwanted image, like nude imagery, whats the likelihood that the original owner is going to track it through all the various sites such as Tinypic and/or Flickr, and then contact the users? How would he or she even start? It feels or sounds more like something that one would just happen to 'stumble across', stop and say hey that's my intellectual property, and then take it from there in terms of assessing criminal culpability, liability, evaluating rights, and considering legal representation if necessary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.