Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

Just Gossip Why android phones are more popular than ios phones?

Discussion in 'Gadgets, Mobiles and Technology' started by networld, Dec 8, 2015.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    It is a known fact that Android is the most popular mobile OS in the world. What are the reasons for Android becoming the number one people's choice?

- Android has large number of handset models to choose from.
    - There is something for everybody starting from a high-tech customer to a noob
    - Android is rich in various apps than any other mobile OS
    - It is said that programming is quite simple in Android and hence it is the programmer's choice
    - You can get a wider price range while buying Android phones

iOS is only limited to Apple and it only caters the high income group with a high price tag. Any addition to this list is appreciated.

2. Avatarpals

White Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    I would say that Apple iPhone is the most popular phone worldwide although it is not the most widely used. As you already mentioned, iPhone is expensive and hence not everyone can buy an iPhone.
    But, almost every smartphone user in the world knows about Apple iPhone and its features and would like to have one, except those users who love Android Phones of a specific brand.

Me personally, I like Samsung Galaxy series phones compared to iPhone even though I can buy an iPhone I never really liked it or probably I have gotten used to the Galaxy interface and features.
    Android is a very generic term, since it is open source any manufacturer can install and customize it. But, not every android phone is the same. We cannot compare a Samsung Galaxy phone with a very cheap android phone from korea or china for example. So as operating systems go, both Android and iOS are great softwares but phone wise, not many phones can come in competition versus iPhones, some phones which are competing are Samsung phones and some HTC and other top tier models.

And yes, the freedom with open source operating system like Android attracts more developers and geeks to use the technology. iOS is really well made and is integrated with its hardware very nicely, probably because Apple makes both the software and the hardware. But, in Android phones the software or operating system comes from Google whereas the hardware is manufactured by individual companies, thus creating a chance for failure to integrate or several bugs post implementation. For this reason, we already know Samsung is trying to strengthen its own operating system and planning to phase out the use of Android, thus Samsung will become a real competitor to Apple with its own hardware and software on its devices. I surely hope Samsung will go a good job with their own OS for mobile, that should actually work much better than Android on Samsung phones due to the better integrating if Samsung keeps its quality in check.

All being said, the best phone for you is the phone which serves your needs. Do not go by brand names or models rather go by what you need in a phone and which phones have those features. Most people buy phones due to herd mentality, if a phone is popular they think they want that phone without considering what their personal needs are and which phones actually provide them with those features. Bottom line is, to each his phone!

3. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    I agree with @networld@networld, I think Android phones are more popular than the Apple iPhone, because of the different variety of android gadgets out there. Both Android phones and iPhones are popular, but the Android phone beats it because of the high percent usage of the phone. Despite this I prefer the iPhone, to other phones as do many people, but must people only like iPhones are because of the brand Apple, while Android users, love their phones because of it's software.

4. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Look at Androids time and time again verified willingness to peer "Open Source" or P2P (Peer-2Peer) app-sharing and development. I find Iphones to be especially great for consistency in performance and reliability. My iPhones never froze or crashed on me, have a much 'cleaner' layout, and overall seem to perform more optimally than my previous droid devices. However, if forced to choose, I stand behind each one for different purposes. What's your intent or purpose of your smart-phone, business, pleasure, or both? It makes a big difference.

What do you guys think of these Pebble Watches? Says a lot (or at least something) about Apple--that one company is willing to make multi-compatible smart-watches, but as usual, Apple is appearing selfish and not willing to create comparably universally-operable technology. Not to mention Apples easily $200+ minimum price difference in comparison to AppleWatches.

I myself have previously owned, and intend to own again a Pebble Steele Watch. But instead of an Iphone 5 this time, I'm going to run with the Mytouch Slide 4g. Look it up and you'll see why; 8MP camera, nearly 2.0ghz processor, I think it might even be snap-dragon. I'll sync it with my Pebble Steele watch. Why? Because I miss and need a QWERTY keyboard to conduct work correspondences and even do a little online-university work from my phone, check grades, send schoolmails, etc.

Why am I not pursuing the new Pebble Watch Time? Because, I don't like the face-plate design and shape, and I actually prefer the "Batman-like" Black and White e-paper appearance of the Pebble Steele, it did everything I needed, that it promised, and more. Also, because of the price-range difference, obviously, and honestly because the Time does more than I need it to, simply put.

Happy Shopping!

P.S. I myself using fairly frequently my Pebble Steele had to recharge it every 3-5 days. I believe the AppleWatch lasts maximum 6-18 hours with minimal to maximum constant usage. (N) Oh, and P.S.S. the new Pebble Time says it aims to last 10+ days on a single charge. (Y)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    While a few years ago Apple seemed to dominate the smartphone market and everybody used to be obsessed with the iOS, these days that's far from the case.

Android devices are increasing in popularity and now you will find that the android OS not only dominates the smartphone market but also the tablet market with the Apple iPad playing second fiddle to the other brands of tablet.

6. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    You are right, Android OS is much more than a mobile OS nowadays. It has become popular in tablet market too. Heard that Google has just launched their first tablet (Pixel C) as a strong competitor for Apple iPad and Microsoft Surface Pro. The tablet has an inbuilt keypad dock which makes it a unique product and stand out from the competition. It's quite durable too with strong anodized aluminum body.

With 10.2 inch screen size we can say it is a miniature version of 2-in-1 laptops.

7. Malasia

White Belt

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I think that Android phones are more popular than iPhones simply because it is targeted to a wider market and has more variety. Android phones do vary in price and is available to those who cannot afford to flesh out hundreds of dollars but want to have a smartphone. In addition, Android phones have various kinds to choose from. Literally, there is a type of android phone for each individual person. With iPhones, their target market is geared towards higher-income individuals so this just increases the likelihood of the average person buying an android phone. In addition, iPhones are relatively similar in their make. There is not much variety in the look of the iPhone. What you basically see from the iPhone is the evolution of the first iPhone seeing slight changes in its make each year. Also, I know that some people have complained about the iPhone screen being too little which is why they introduced the 6 plus. Once again, Android provides people with a variety of phones where you can get a small screen or a large screen for users who prefer a larger view.

8. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    iPhones are very pricey, which makes for less users as people search for good things that won't make them spend much money. Also the world economy right now isn't one of the greatest, so cheap things sell more than the expensive ones, hence the case with Android and Apple

9. pwarbi

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +25 / -0
    Apple seem quite happy these days to keep the market share they've got, and even though they can ser that their beloved iOS as been surpassed by the android devices, they don't appear to be doing much about it.

The market will become a monopoly, if it isn't already now, and that's always bad for the consumer. While I am a fan of the android devices and use them myself, unless Apple and Microsoft make some sort of effort to fight back, then android will start to rest on its laurels and that won't be good for us, the buyers.

10. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    I am also a big fan of Android. But I don't think Android also is not safe from competition. I think the success of Android as a popular mobile OS is mainly attributed to handset manufacturers like Samsung, Sony, HTC etc. where Samsung is leading the show. But with the advent of Chine handsets these players are suffering. Chinese Android mobiles offer good features at very cheap rates which also force others to cut down their prices.

The cost of production for Chinese handsets is pretty low when compared to other models. So, it is not a big deal for them to offer good discounts.

It is heard that Samsung is now focusing more on developing their own OS Tizen as they are finding it difficult to survive in the Android market. They are all set to go with their new models in Z series that run on Tizen.

11. cortana

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    I think Android is more popular among programmers and developers for easy access, but then again - ios is popular for developers because TONS of people use the iphone and buy silly apps.

If you can develop the same app for both platforms, then you don't have to worry because you're gonna do great if your app is good.

12. cortana

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    What source shows that android is the most popular?

I would argue that having many handsets to chose from means that they are all average at best. If you have less items to work on, then your staff can focus better.

I always wondered why I could walk into a phone store and see like 20 Android phones that literally all do the same thing, but 2 iphones and the only big difference on them is the size.

Why does android need so many different models instead of one totally awesome phone?

13. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    Android phone has a large library of free apps. Most of the useful apps in Apple iPhone are not free. They also want you to submit your credit card information to download the free apps. I think Apple iPhone is for those who are richer and Android phone is for those who like free stuff.

14. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    You don't need to actually, I don't have a credit card with my account, it's very possible to sign-up without a card, you just need to use iTunes to make the account, not from the phone itself, I now what you're talking about.

15. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    There is no doubt that Android is leading the show in Smartphone market. You can search web and get a handful of research reports to prove this fact. Also if you look around you can see it to yourself. It is not surprising that Android offers too many options because most of the mobile phone manufacturers use Android in their smartphones, then definitely there will be more choices. iOS on the other hand is only limited to Apple and there is no wonder why there are only a few models to choose from. It is like a monopoly of Apple which entitled them to fix a high price tag with handsets.

Android is a free source and rich with various apps which make them more loveable indeed.

16. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    ios devices are better than Andriod devices. However, android devices are more popular. The reasons are as follows:
    There are many andriod devices to choose.
    Andriod devices are relatively cheaper.
    Andriod devices are easy to use.

17. skylimit

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +46 / -0
    Yes Android phones are more popular than iOS phones.
    But one thing iOS can give which Android will never give, is the security, if you guys have saw the play store there are tons of apps.
    Android apps have lots of viruses, malwares as compare to iOS. If you compare iOS apps and Android apps they have lots of differences.
    iOS cannot be re-made, but Android have another version - cyanogen .
    What do you think of cyanogen?

18. challengewriter

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +66 / -0
    This reminds me of when the mobile brands were suing each other. Android will get better, they are already working on it, but they'd still have miles to reach iOS level.

Sent from my GT-S7582 using Tapatalk

19. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Yes, I agree with your point. Security is a major area of concern in Android base. We hear news of various types of Android related threats almost every other day. I think the new Android version Marshmallow could provide some relief. But what about the old phones which cannot be upgraded to Marshmallow? They are left with no other option but to go for a new phone.

It is heard that Google is working closely with Samsung to develop refined models free of security issues. I am sure Android will overcome this within a short while. Samsung Galaxy S7 could be their first step in this regard.

20. waqsi

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    It's because Android phones are way too easy to operate and are more user-friendly, when compared to iOS. Android holds almost 85% of the market share and that's huge. Also, Android OS is a lot more customisable when compared to other Os'. You can root an Android phone, install a custom ROM, tweak its CPU and do many more things which cannot be done in other OS. The biggest issue of iOs is the data transfer, you can't transfer data to your phone unless you have a laptop with iTjnes installed in it.