Help Me/Question Why Facebook And Google Are Blocked In China?

Ramakrishnan

I have heard that many popular social media websites including Facebook and Google are blocked in China. Instead, they are using Baidu and Sina developed by local Chinese companies. Many people think that the reason behind it shall be political.
What can be the exact reason for blocking the popular foreign websites in China?

Renren

I guess China would like to compete with those companies and create an own version of their own. Since China is one of the populated places here in the earth.

pwarbi

China don't like many things that the western world invent and use, the internet and most sites on there being just one example.

Another reason of course is that if they ban or block the use of the western sites, they can then produce and make their own versions and force their people to use the Chinese sites instead.

PrashantD

Content Writer
In my opinion, it is because the Chinese government want to have some sort of control over speech on web. For the websites being based out of China, it is easy for the people in government to delete the content or shut the whole thing down. In other words, they can regulate the content, what's posted an what's not far more easily. However, it is far more difficult, maybe, next to impossible, for them to control what's posted on the website like Twitter, Facebook etc. Wikipedia, however, is an exception and is allowed in China with just a minor part of it being inaccessible.

Furqan Rashid

Really they are banned in china. I was not aware of this. China is the biggest economy they must have these websites working.

Ramakrishnan

In my opinion, it is because the Chinese government want to have some sort of control over speech on web. For the websites being based out of China, it is easy for the people in government to delete the content or shut the whole thing down. In other words, they can regulate the content, what's posted an what's not far more easily. However, it is far more difficult, maybe, next to impossible, for them to control what's posted on the website like Twitter, Facebook etc. Wikipedia, however, is an exception and is allowed in China with just a minor part of it being inaccessible.
Yes, I think they want to control the contents of foreign websites. They believe that the foreign websites will damage their national interests and hurt the benefits of Chinese consumers. They want them to follow the laws and regulations of China. If the people use their own brand, the government can have full access on it. It is true that even part of Wikipedia, especially the Chinese language version, is blocked there.

challengewriter

Lara
Blue Belt
I think China is just mean, they don't want the Chinese to be well adverse like the rest of the world. Their ruling is too strict and everything I've heard about there is mind boggling. Because these Chinese people are super smart and create a lot of things. I also think China wants to gain from the internet, and not let non-Chinese online media prosper from their end.

Ramakrishnan

I think China is just mean, they don't want the Chinese to be well adverse like the rest of the world. Their ruling is too strict and everything I've heard about there is mind boggling. Because these Chinese people are super smart and create a lot of things. I also think China wants to gain from the internet, and not let non-Chinese online media prosper from their end.
Yes, I think you are right. They seem to have a superiority complex and want to show their superiority over others on every matter. That is why they insist others to follow Chinese laws and regulations, under the pretension that the outsiders will hurt the national interests of China.

masterbusiness

Content Writer
It was on July 2009 when Facebook was banned in China since a certain group of activists was using the site as part of their communications network. They also have an existing site which already has similar features with Facebook.