Welcome to WebmasterServe!

FREE TO JOIN! Join us now to engage in informative and friendly discussions about Webmastering, SEO, SEM, Internet Marketing, Programming, Graphic Design, Online Jobs and more. What are you waiting for? Ready to join our friendly community? It takes just one minute to register.

Dismiss Notice

Join WebmasterServe Forums 
Join the discussion! Have a better idea or an opinion? It takes just one minute to register Click Here to Join

My 2 Cents Why people prefer offline regular jobs than online assignments?

Discussion in 'General Business Topics' started by networld, Dec 10, 2015.

1. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    There is no doubt that online job market is growing day by day at a very fast pace. But I think people are keener to go for regular offline jobs than online jobs. An online job for most of them is only a way for a side income. I think there are a number of factors that contribute to this situation:

- Online jobs are unpredictable. We never know when a site will close down and most of the time it happens without even giving a notice to the members
    - A high rate of scams. Online sites are flooded with scammers and it is really difficult to filter out the genuine ones.
    - Reputation is another factor I think. Regular office goers get more reputation in society. Mostly online job is still not considered as a regular income source.
    - In online jobs it is difficult or impossible to track the owner, whereas in offline jobs we are in direct contact with the owner.

Would appreciate any additions to the above list.

2. cortana

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +28 / -0
    Offline jobs offer more security but they take away your freedom to work from home. There's a good part and bad part about almost everything, you just have to find what works for you while being very careful of online scams.

3. bharath

Staff Member Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +54 / -0
    Offline jobs are similar to online jobs and they too can close at any stage, but for me as an online marketer loves to have online business and it is growing day by day.
    There are more chances to make more money online through online jobs or online business, but not through offline, because you are servant to them.

4. wilco

wilco Grammarian Apprentice
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +13 / -0
    Offline jobs are unpredictable as well--for example, working Construction. A multitude of previous "offline" jobs I've held were unstable due to the nature of the field, most of those were physical-labor based jobs.

But even the ice sculpting gig, that was seasonal, when people were ordering such a special thing/seasonal. So, it's again, all 'up to you' what you want to make of your career endeavors online or off.

5. PrashantD

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +24 / -0
    Online world is not really meant for doing fulltime jobs as if you really wanted to work 9-5, you'd better off working offline as that would get you social status and circle. Online world is more of owning a business or working freelance. Freelancing is pretty unlike regular 9-5 likes as you get to choose when and for whom you can work. You can select what you want to do and how much compensation you want for it. Plus there is no commitment of working hours. You work for the client, deliver the product and that's it. You are not required to sit at your desk if when there's no work.

6. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    That is true. I think the main attraction of online working is the flexibility it offers. You can choose your own time and place for online work. In offline jobs you have to follow a pre-defined schedule without any fail.

Yes, offline jobs could also fail when there is a mismatch in demand and supply situations. But I don't think there is an issue of scam in regular jobs, but there can be exceptions too. In almost all cases we get the payment that we are offered to pay. Moreover, we will be covered with statutory benefits which are not there in online jobs.

7. Zirkon Kalti

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +120 / -0
    For most people, traditional offline job offers more stable income. If you are still not earning enough online, it is best to stick to your offline job while continuing on your online job after you come back from work.

8. Vinaya

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +22 / -0
    How much you receive from an assignment is the main question. If you receive good money online jobs can be a better option. If you don't receive good payment from online jobs, offline assignments can be better option. However, online jobs are more available that offline jobs. IN most of the cases offline assignment pays well compared to online jobs.

9. Cleveland Williams

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    The main difference to why people prefer offline jobs to me is the pay. In an offline job people are informed and very well aware of how much they will be getting paid as soon as they are hired. There are no surprises in that regard. How ever, most people when looking for a job online are confused about the pay amount and pay frequency. Another factor to consider is that people who work for home often feel isolated, and seek to socialize with other people.

10. Marth

White Belt

Ratings:
    +4 / -0
    The advantages to an off-line job is stability and a steady paycheck. You don't have to be constantly looking for new work in a lot of cases because the job puts that right in front of you. The advantages to working online would be choosing your own hours and you will generally get out of it what you put into it, that can be good or bad depending on your skills & work ethic.

11. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    For me, the reason that these people are preferring offline regular jobs than online assignments is because of the so-called "rat race". They are working 8 hours a day, 5 days a week (even overtime) just to be paid minimum wages. This is the reality that most employees never seen in themselves. They are programmed to work hard in order to live the dreams of their bosses, and not theirs. Although there's nothing wrong with the employment, it is actually good for sustaining yourself. But sticking to employment only isn't a good idea. You've got to add other sources of income in order to increase your net gain.

For example, if you are sticking to employment only earning $200/month minus $170 monthly expenses, you only have a $30 net gain. However, if we do other income sources and can give spare time for that, our net gain will grow bigger and may use it for our future. But the sad reality is that we are programmed to study hard, get good grades, get a high paying job after graduation to be fully secured. Speaking of being "secured", we are just being limited to this kind of income rather than financial freedom. Financial education is one of those ideas we should do in order to become successful in the near future.

12. ipol12

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +26 / -0
    Having a regular offline job is more sustainable, but there's no assurance too as long as you are working in a big company or in government offices. It depends on the company or the nature of job you are in.

With online jobs, there's no security as you might lose clients in in freelancing sites. If working in a site, there's possibility that it will shut down. That's why online workers do not put their eggs in one basket.

13. Hugop

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    As an online webdesigner, I earn a good amount of money and sometimes none. It is not because my customers are not paying me but it is because there are times I have no customers at all. Making it as our main job would be to risky, that is why we should have an offline job with fixed monthly payment.

14. networld

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +50 / -0
    Even though I agree with your point that the level of income really matters when it comes to nature of job, we cannot ignore job security too. Most of the online jobs do not pay for long and we never know when they will stop paying altogether. But yes, there are plenty of online jobs available now and it is really difficult to filter out the genuine ones.

I think the main merit of offline assignment is the level of job security it offers. As you are directly dealing with your employment provider, there is very low chance of foul play.

15. waqsi

White Belt

Ratings:
    +2 / -0
    I am generating a decent income online and I'm loving it. But, I won't be making it as my mainstream income because online jobs are mostly unsustainable. You never know when a website shuts down its business and your earnings get halted. I would always prefer an offline job over online job due to the 'sustainability' factor. At least I'm having an assurity of getting paid as long as I work for an offline job.

16. Swati Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +105 / -0
    Online jobs are all about uncertainty. You don't have a fix salary for your daily needs. To payout a regular income flow works more better because you can do this is an organized manner.

17. cheezcarls

cheezcarls It's Game Time!
    Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +162 / -0
    I totally agree with you @ipol12@ipol12. We should not put all eggs in one basket, as life is already practical now. It is not a good option anymore to stick with just one income source whether if it's an online or offline job, we should always have multiple options.

Working online isn't consistent (unless you're lucky in finding a long term client), and sustaining your finances is important. Getting an offline job is a good option on top of your freelance work once and for all, but there are always better ones ahead.

Yes I agree that offline jobs can give us sustainability, but it does not give us the freedom because we are just stuck to a fixed income. Although it is alright to have an offline job to sustain finances, but it is not good if you are just sticking to it and refuse to learn how to manage your money to gain some residual consistent income in the long run.

I definitely agree with you @Swati Mishra@Swati Mishra about that, in which is all about uncertainty and I know about that since I started freelancing. Regular income is fine, but you won't become successful if you're just sticking with the regular income thing.

18. Manish Mishra

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +159 / -0
    Everybody like consistence with the work and so the income of money. It is really very hard to invest something with your irregular income. Yes, of course, offline jobs may earn you a handsome money but it is not fixed that you will maintain in the next year.
    If you want to purchase a home, the loan based scheme could b a big trouble with the offline sources of income whereas a regular income can be assigned to do different task at the end of the month, peacefully.

19. zehra nadeem

White Belt

Ratings:
    +10 / -0
    People preffer to have offline regular jobs than online assignments because they have fear of not to be paid. They also thinks if one assignments is over another will be given to us or not.

20. fsdqasmia

Yellow Belt

Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    People don't prefer working online, not only due to lots of scams, but because nothing is guaranteed there when you complete your tasks.